Overclocking AMD FX-6300 on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5

BeholdenCypress

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
I have a recently built system (Built April 1, 2016) using an AMD FX-6300 on a GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard. I currently have it overclocked to 4007 MHz (229.0 BCLK, 17.5x multiplier) running at a steady 1.4 volts vCore (no temp issues, I am running a Cryorig H7). My ram is also OCed to 2133 MHz up from 1866MHz.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the maximum safe voltage would be for this mobo and CPU (i know that is hard to do because each mobo and CPU is different, but approximations are helpful too). Since I have this beastly cooler I want to put it to good use, right now sitting at 4GHz it is not even breaking a sweat, does not get above room temperature at idle (on an AMD chip? I know right.)

I would like to try and push this CPU closer to 4.5 - 4.7 GHz but when I try to do that, the system fails to post and I have to reset my UEFI.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CPU in Piriform Speccy:
qPfDext.png

BeholdenCypress

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

I was just playing with things, some people have told me that BCLK overclocking is the safest overclocking.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I would suggest just the opposite. Unlocked multipliers exist for a reason. Use that to increase the clock speed first. Reset everything to stock speed. Disable turbo mode, and take the multi up a click at a time... testing for stability and temp between increments. Increase the vcore only when you reach instability.

Increasing the bclk increases the clock speed of everything else that runs off the bclk too. If you end up with an unstable OC, you won't know which one of those was the problem. So, If you do the bclk, you should down clock the memory etc. to eliminate those items from the equation.

BeholdenCypress

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

I reset my BCLK to 200 (stock for this board) and turned my multiplier up incrementally as you stated. booted up and ran prime95 for about 30 minutes each time. I am able to get to 4.3 stable at 1.5 volts vcore. Is there anything else I can do to push it further, or did I just not win the silicon lottery?

--------------------------------
Update:

I found part of my problem. I am using Corsair Vengeance memory and I have had countless people tell me that vengeance are not not very good overclockers. So I took my RAM back down to 1600MHz and now my CPU overclock is 100% stable at 4.3 GHz (21.5x multiplier, 200MHz BCLK) at 1.485 volts vcore.

I think that is as high as I am going to get this chip to go. Any higher and no matter what I do to either BCLK, multi, or vcore, it is not stable. I am happy with 4.3 though. It is an 800 MHz OC over the stock speed. Thanks for your help Clutch.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I guess it depends on how stable you demand that the OC be. P95 for hours on end is fine, but I have been simply using IBT at its default settings lately to stability-test, and I have never had a crash during gaming and everyday use yet if it passes IBT at default.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

The board could be part of the problem too. Personally, I never had much luck OC'ing with the two Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 boards I had. I ended up getting an Asrock Extreme6 and got up to 4.7 GHz with my FX-6350 using IBT to stress test with.

I have my 6350 at 4,8 GHz on same MB running 24/7 under Scythe Mugen3 air cooler. Using only multiplier and Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz RAM. It's not running more than 1.4 volts and mostly staying at 1.327v. unless all cores are maxed. LLC is on Normal. Found very little to no gain in using BLCK in addition to multiplier.