Installed windows 10 on laptop. Keyboard and fingerpad no longer work.

Rmbar19

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Did the upgrade to follow suite with my desktop, but as the title says, neither work-after I log in that is. Worked fine before installing 10. Now they only work until just past login, for like a minute. I KNOW I had restore points when it was Windows 7, but apparently those didn't carry over, it's telling me I have none. Was going to revert to 7 then back to 10 to see if that'd fix it, but its telling me I don't have enough disc space (yet 10 required extra space initially, meaning I had 10 and 7 at one point together, so why do I need 20 gigs more than I have right now?). Quite frankly there's nothing on my hard drive I'm ok with deleting or losing. I feel stuck-I just want my laptop to work at this point. Any ideas?

Oh and since I was looking on the forums, I'll point out the 5/6 keys do not work, so its not that...issue. Tried every Alt+Xkey combo on the keyboard as well as FN+Xkey possible to make sure I didn't somehow turn it off (though again, it all works before logging in....)

Oh, and it's periodically turned itself off, after maybe 10 minutes as I attempt to trouble shoot from my desktop, I'll hear it shut off for no apparent reason.

jock1092

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I have had and fixed this before, it can be done, you said you have a pc so I'll tell you what I did.
This is assuming you have a a working mouse and some kind of removable storage
Search for the drivers using your pc for the keyboard and scanner and save them to a USB drive ect and then try install them.
I would also say sometimes when doing a win 7-8.1 to win 10 upgrade there can be a folder called "system old" or similar on the laptop ( I used that once) that can actually still have the driver files

Edit - forgot to add, go to system - power options and set them to what you want, I noticed win 10 has crazy short expectancies from laptops and auto shuts down fast

Rmbar19

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016

So I have a custom laptop-I think it was a Sager p375sm. Google led me to this link:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers.php?cat=582

None of those that I can see directly say keyboard, but I do see the sensing pad...would one of those do the trick?

jock1092

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

ok good to see the sensor pad there and, sorry i didnt suggest this earlier i never thought of it till now. have you tried device manager to see if the keyboard is installed ? if not try update the driver from there it can work for most things .

QuasarX

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Download Iobit driver booster 3 and run a scan while on windows 10 download and new drivers. From my experiences upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 theirs always at least 1 compatibility problem.

if that don't work settings>update and security>check for updates

if that dont work reinstall windows 10. there are a few more ways i can think of but i have relook it but you could check up in your advance settings

Settings>Recovery>Advance Setup>Restart Now......<Not recommended as i used this to solve other problems and i cant remember what is in there again.

Rmbar19

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016

So I've been on the phone with microsoft the past hour and a half, since before creating this topic. In the end they tried to tell me it was a hardware issue, the keyboard, and to bring it back to the manufacturer to have it looked at.

Except it worked on Windows 7 and it works at login to get into 10, before it stops working. They then told me to have a technician look at it and call them back. I just reverted it back to 7 and am gonna have it go to 10 again. Not sure if it'll have a different turnout, figure it won't hurt.

Part of the troubleshooting with microsoft involved checking device manager. Deleted all the related drivers and had them reinstalled. Makes me wonder if Sager just doesn't have drivers for this particular laptop and windows 10-is that possible?

EDIT:Looking at the link I provided earlier, all of those drivers are windows 7 or 8....meaning it has no support for 10.

Oldskiboat

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Same thing happened to me. I happened to have a hard drive with a windows 7 OS on it and installed it. The keyboard worked fine. I called Microsoft and was told it was an upload by Windows 10 that caused the issue. This support person opened another account on my system and transferred everything over and it works fine. But I also spoke to an L2 support person there on another issue and was told they did not have to open another account to fix it.

Give the Windows 10 support team a call on this. 877-696-7786 or 800-642-7676 On the first number select tech support option 3, say Windows when asked what the issue is with. Say no about is this an upgrade issue. They will ask if you want info on paid help, say yes. You will get to a person that directs the support issue to the correct area. I called to check and they told me they would help with this even if you did not have an ASURE contract.

Oldskiboat

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
If your laptop is 2 years old it should work with Windows 10, I have a Thinkpad T510 over 4 years old and it works great. I suggest a call back to Microsoft and a request to speak to Level 2 support. If this works right with 8 it is not a hardware issue and not a driver issue either.

Rmbar19

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016

So I haven't really tried to deal with this since my past post here in April. After discovering Microsoft support is down right incompetent, I reverted to 7 and kept it there. No issues with it. Hardware issue my ass.

I'm certain its a matter of Sager not releasing correct software/drivers for 10 for my model. Though isn't the free Windows 10 upgrade gone at this point? Didn't that end last month?

Windows 7 is still a great system so I don't mind the laptop running on it, but I'm not against 10 either. It works great on the desktop. If Microsoft stops trying to feed me crap on the phone I'd be ok with troubleshooting this some more.

Seeing this post, I recall being able to use the keyboard briefly, sometimes random keys would work for maybe a minute or so after 10 started up, then nothing.

TRENDING THREADS