Gamer0072

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
My system configuration is :
INTEL CORE I5 4460
GIGABYTE B85M-D3H-A
NVIDIA 750TI
16GB

i want to install windows 10. uefi or legacy which one is better for above pc configuration? i am confused.

Solution
If you fresh install Win 10 it formats drives using GPT format which matches UEFI boot. You can still use Legacy as GPT has an MBR for backwards compatibility but its not used for anything else. GPT has multiple copies of the files needed to boot so its less likely to suffer boot problems - another good reason to use UEFI.

some info: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Some_basics_of_MBR_v/s_GPT_and_BIOS_v/s_UEFI

GPT is over 2.19 tb, not MBR. in fact, its a lubricious figure of 9.4 zettabytes for a partition (I am not sure this is right (Its from the link), I have heard part size is only 256tb on a hdd, but you can have 128 partitions on a drive in gpt so it could be the total). I now suspect one figure is the guid standard...
It's not a question of which one is better. It's a question of your personal preference. UEFI is more secure, but in its default "secure boot" mode it takes longer to boot, and will not let you boot from a CD/DVD. Also I believe (but am not sure) that your hard drive has to be formatted MBR with UEFI. Of course if your hard drive is over 2 TB, you'll have to format it MBR anyway.

Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you fresh install Win 10 it formats drives using GPT format which matches UEFI boot. You can still use Legacy as GPT has an MBR for backwards compatibility but its not used for anything else. GPT has multiple copies of the files needed to boot so its less likely to suffer boot problems - another good reason to use UEFI.

some info: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Some_basics_of_MBR_v/s_GPT_and_BIOS_v/s_UEFI

GPT is over 2.19 tb, not MBR. in fact, its a lubricious figure of 9.4 zettabytes for a partition (I am not sure this is right (Its from the link), I have heard part size is only 256tb on a hdd, but you can have 128 partitions on a drive in gpt so it could be the total). I now suspect one figure is the guid standard whereas the smaller figure is what windows supports,

I have UEFI boot and it lets me use dvd at boot... i did change boot order though.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.