Sound issue, possible motherboard problem? Rear sound not working

parzival7

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
There is something very wrong with my computers sound. The first thing that happened was that my front IO panel started acting funny and my volume coming out of it was all weird. The audio I was hearing was clear for what seemed like only one side, some sound was clear and the rest was ghostly and echoed, the voices were very faint. When I tried my big speakers, not my headphones, all there was was static.

So then I tested all my speakers and headphones and found out they are not the problem. So the problem must lie in the computer. I plugged all my stuff into the back of the computer and I got the same result!! It's like the front panel was messing with the whole thing! So I took off the front cover of my computer and disconnected (i think) the front panel from the rest of the computer. Still an issue with the back panel!

I've tried everything I can think of and I've looked around on multiple other forums and websites to no avail. Right now I'm doing a temporary fix I found where I went into my properties for my speakers and clicked "balance" and put all my sound on the right headphone and put the left headphones value all the way to zero. Now at least I can hear mostly everything. I just want my surround sound back! Please help!

I don't know my exact motherboard but it's an ASRock!

Solution
when did you purchase and from who? retailers usually only give a short time, 1-3 months for RMA or return. but manufacturers usually give a year or more. even it's been a while since purchase contact AsRock support and see what they offer; sometimes to fix, sometimes to replace. sometimes it's a known issue and they have a workaround or will extend warranty services.

the problem would be due to your motherboard itself or the audio drivers. the front panel of your case wouldn't effect either of these things so you could go ahead and reconnect these.

i would first install/reinstall motherboard's latest drivers from the manufacturer's product support page. you will need the asrock motherboard model # to find it on their site.

parzival7

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

Hello, thank you for replying. I did what you said and found out what motherboard I'm using. It's a Z77 Extreme4. So I went to this website here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064
and I downloaded the audio driver and installed it. Rebooted my computer, and still no luck. Does this mean I need to buy a new motherboard? If so, is there one in particular you would suggest? Thanks again!

when did you purchase and from who? retailers usually only give a short time, 1-3 months for RMA or return. but manufacturers usually give a year or more. even it's been a while since purchase contact AsRock support and see what they offer; sometimes to fix, sometimes to replace. sometimes it's a known issue and they have a workaround or will extend warranty services.

Solution