Windows 10 black screen after logging in

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014
The problem started after I "cleaned registry" using ccleaner (shouldn't have, I get that NOW) and also cleaned temp files etc. through ccleaner. After doing the above, when I tried to open my browser I got an error (can't recall exactly what the error was, all I remember about the error is "the application failed to start" with an error code that was like 0x00------b). I then restarted the PC, but it was stuck at a black screen, so I pressed the reboot button. When windows booted up, I encountered a black screen with no cursor just after the windows logo disappeared. I was able to resolved THAT black screen by doing start up repair which I opened by hard resetting while windows logo was showing, twice and then the advanced options having reset pc, troubleshooting etc came up.
After doing start up repair I am able to log on to windows but after signing in, again black screen although this time with a cursor came up. I was able to open task manager but explorer.exe was nowhere to be found in running processes. I tried to start it by opening explorer.exe in new task, but it won't start up. I can open browser though, even play video files using vlc. I tried running sfc /scannow in CMD, but it reports no errors. But when I ran the command in cmd from troubleshooting menu, it said it can't check file integrity. I also ran chkdsk and it found errors and resolved them too, but the problem still persists. I can open safe mode though and windows explorer is working fine in safe mode. I also tried system restore but it reported it couldn't access files. I have bitdefender total security 2016
Another thing, CCleaner made a backup of registry before cleaning and merging that also didn't solve the problem. I also checked that under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon , the shell key had default value of explorer.exe .
My current windows version is Windows 10 enterprise build 14316.
I have an image file of build 14295, which I can access from safe mode. So if any corrupt files needs replacing, I can do that maybe. But I don't know which files.
Resetting PC or reinstalling windows is my very last option. I also don't have a pendrive with me now and won't have until another 2 days. So can't reinstall for now. I was hoping maybe some corrupt files can be restored from the image file.
Even if that is not possible, at least tell me how to open settings app in safe mode or from "new task" in task manager so that I can download the new insider build (14332 I think) and maybe the files will be repaired.

Solution
It could be because you using the insider build, it might be latest but its also beta and not as bug free as the release builds. Insider is basically bug testing.. if you insist on using latest you may need to ask on the Microsoft site as there isn't a great deal of info on the net about figuring out its problems yet.

Even less on the enterprise version, so ask here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

I wish i had noticed you said that in original post

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you upload your dump files to a cloud server and share the link? it will help.

Dl and run a scan using this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it looks at those logs and gives a summary of their details. might help find the cause

Copy/paste its results in here.

does pc load normally if you hit reset after the black desktop?

try running these two: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93 2nd command might ask for that iso of yours but only to get files

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

WhoCrashed report:
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: MISFIT
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14316
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware:
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor AMD586, level: 16
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 6439882752 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. In case you are experiencing system crashes, it may be that crash dumps are prevented from being written out.

--------------------end of report------------------
The folder minidump in windows is empty. I thought dump files were created only when BSODs occur (I didn't come across any BSODs).

Yes my pc loads normally upto black screen on signing in, on restarting by using shutdown /r command in task manager. But if I hard reset, or my PC reboots unexpectedly, then I again come across the black screen after windows logo and again I have to do start up repair to get rid of it.

About those 2 commands: sfc /scannow, I have already tried.
Now for DISM commands, here is the screenshot after I executed the commands:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9NIY90_epSncWpPNmw4eHMyS0k

link to the DISM log file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9NIY90_epSnTVdjdTU5d2V6bWc

**UPDATE: another thing I notice while browsing C drive in safe mode, there is a folder named windows.old and it's size is 538 MB....Is there any chance of recovery from there?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I must have been tired asking for crash files when it wasn't a bsod.

the dism error you got, you should do what second poster here suggests: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/41dcbba8-7f29-4d8a-98a7-3f5fc80f5bb5/dism-error-1726?forum=w8itprogeneral

Are you running afterburner?

How long ago did you upgrade to windows 10? if its in last few weeks you could use that to roll back to whatever you had before but then its odd ccleaner didn't delete that in its clean up you ran, or did you just clean the registry?.

Windows.old is used with the reset feature to roll back to previous version of win 10 in first month of upgrade. If you fresh installed and have a windows old, you must have used an old version of the installer.

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

I tried the methods suggested in the post; Remote Procedure Call (RPC) locator was set to manual and I started it. I am not connected to any domain network I think. Even then I'm getting the same error. But the strange thing is, I'm also getting the error even in the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth command, which was working earlier!!

No, I'm not running afterburner. Unfortunately, processExplorer is not running. Whenever I try to run it, a message box opens up showing sysinternals Process Explorer has stopped working.

I'm using windows 10 for more than 6 months. I use insider builds from fast ring. I upgraded from build 14295 about 3 weeks ago. I had to reset the current build about 1 week ago, due to some problems. So I can't revert back to previous build. What I can do is reset the PC again, which I really don't want to do, since I will have to download and install the apps and softwares all over again! (And what if resetting PC doesn't resolve my problem? that would be a real bummer! )I didn't upgrade to windows 10. I did a fresh install way back. Before that I was using windows 8.1.

I cleaned up temp. files etc. with ccleaner, along with registry. I do remember that the option "delete previous windows installation files" was ticked.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be because you using the insider build, it might be latest but its also beta and not as bug free as the release builds. Insider is basically bug testing.. if you insist on using latest you may need to ask on the Microsoft site as there isn't a great deal of info on the net about figuring out its problems yet.

Even less on the enterprise version, so ask here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

I wish i had noticed you said that in original post

Solution

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

I install the insider builds after running through the "known issues", as long as the issues doesn't affect my PC usage. I have been on this build for about two weeks without any problem. Anyways, I went ahead and reset my PC. Still that didn't solve the problem. Though, after resetting, I could see explorer.exe in task manager. Restarting the process just made it vanish.
So I just reinstalled windows from scratch again.
Thanks for the help though! :)