Expand C drive when D drive is on other disc

Tjerk_Netherlands

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
Hello all,

My C drive is getting full and my D drive is empty, so I wanted to move some things around to change this. However if I search the internet the tutorials presume that these drives are next to eachother in storage management. As I'm not really a computer genius this makes me a bit hesitant to act. So my question is, how do I extend my C drive in this case (if at all possible)? Screenshot is of my storage management, sorry for the language ;)

06hNrv.png

Solution
they actually presume they are the same hdd. I think you can make a folder in the c drive that links to the D but you can't add space physically between two physical drives... you can't make one smaller and the other larger.

I would move all my libraries onto the second drive - its also handy for recovery after an accident with windows as you have all your libraries already safe on the 2nd drive. If one of the large folders is steam Library, there is a way to copy folder itself across and then link it to steam. Move anything big off the ssd (I assume thats what it is since its so small).

You should get a bigger ssd if you want all your games on it.
There are several possible ways to deal with this, that's the good news. The other news is that since the D: drive is a separate physical drive, you can't take space from it and give it to C:. Here are the things you CAN do though.
1) Move some things like your Downloads, Pictures, Music, and Documents folders to the D: drive. You could also put your paging file on D:
2) Decrease the amount of space allocated to restore points, freeing up space on C:.
3) Uninstall some applications and reinstall on D:
4) Reinstall Windows on the D: drive. This would require the most effort, but would give you the largest amount of free space, since that D: is 1 TB of total space.

Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
they actually presume they are the same hdd. I think you can make a folder in the c drive that links to the D but you can't add space physically between two physical drives... you can't make one smaller and the other larger.

I would move all my libraries onto the second drive - its also handy for recovery after an accident with windows as you have all your libraries already safe on the 2nd drive. If one of the large folders is steam Library, there is a way to copy folder itself across and then link it to steam. Move anything big off the ssd (I assume thats what it is since its so small).

You should get a bigger ssd if you want all your games on it.

Solution