Please help me, I don't know where to start.

SkyHighGam3r

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Hello everyone.

My name is Christopher, I am almost 28 years old, and I need your help.

I have no formal education past the 6th grade. I was put into "Home-School" which was a ploy so my father could have me work at the family business. He taught me some great life-lessons and work-ethic, but at the expense of my education...

(I did manage to attain a GED, with honors... so there's that)

We moved right after I was pulled out of school, so I never really made any friends as a child and I spent all my time, when I wasn't working, on our little family computer. Now, I'm no whiz-kid by any real measure... however anyone I know that has computer problems comes to me, and most of the time... I can solve their problem. Most importantly, doing so makes me happy.

6 months ago, I FINALLY got out of that miserable place where my 'family' resides. I have an apartment with my fiance, and I finally feel like I have a real future for the first time in my life.

In order to secure that future though, I feel it's time to get serious, go back to school and settle into a real career. Computers is something I'm both good at, and I love... so I can't imagine a better fit for this goal. I'm a fast learner, and I am determined to see this through.

Right now, I feel like an ideal end-game is being able to both build and repair computers for people. I love hardware, and I'm not afraid of software. I've always really really liked math and science as well, which I know tie into this field quite a bit.

However... I don't know the first thing about where to begin in this pursuit.

Is there any particular literature I should read on the subject?
What kind of degree should I look for?
Are there many openings in these fields?
What would I need for 'certifications'?
Are there particular kinds of positions I should look at?
What sort of questions should I ask myself to narrow down where I want to be in this field?

Like I said... I just don't know where to begin. I just know it's time to go back to school and secure a career so that I can provide for myself and my fiance. I will kill myself before I ever go back 'home'.

So again, I really need some help. Which... if you knew me at all you'd know that is not something I ever ask for.

I'd appreciate any information or advice you can give.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not know (and do not really need to know) where you live.

In any case, start by looking at the employment ads for IT positions in your area or commuting range. Read the desired and required qualifications. Education and experience.

I have worked with many IT folks with a wide and varying ranges of degrees, certifications, experience, and background.

Starting out you probably may not have much choice - entry level stuff is not fun. And the IT field is changing and evolving.

If you can convince or otherwise demonstrate to a potential employer that you can do the job then you have a pretty fair chance of getting a job.

Maybe with a contingency that you obtain some specific certification(s) as directed by your employer.

Do as much hands on computer work as you can: PC's, routers, networks, peripherals. Read tutorials, User Guides/Manuals, lurk in forums such as this one. Check out library books or purchase IT books at used bookstores/Goodwill stores,etc..

Keep up on your wiriting skills, basic science knowledge, etc.. Take communication classes, join a computer club. Be active in IT.

And I have just started recommending the book "CyberSecurity Leadership" by Dr. Mansur Hasbid. Very easy to read and the book really provides a great deal of insight into and information about the IT industry. There is one short two-page chapter titled "Success in the IT field". And the author also discusses in other chapter hiring and recruitment.

Google his name - read....