Windows 10 not recognizing any external USB Drives

Chuck_17

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
One of my Windows 10 computers won't recognize any of the USB 2 and USB 3 external drives I connect to it. It doesn't matter which USB port I use (USB does work on other devices). They don't appear in Device Manager which shows no drivers warnings. Disk Management doesn't see any of these external drives. All drives work on other computers.

BUT, the one thing that DOES see the drives is the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" taskbar popup. But I can't do anything useful with that.

The drives I tried were a WD MyBook USB 3, a WD passport USB 2 and an ordinary WD USB 2 external drive. An external USB DVD drive is recognized.

It just seems like some kind of USB driver is missing but I have no idea what driver. I do have the WD SES device USB driver installed although that isn't supposed to be required for your drive to be recognized by the computer anyway.

Solution
Download a program like Driver Booster and make sure you have latest drivers, its likely you need a new USB driver.

what type of pc is it? brand name or custom? if custom, what are the spec?

Chuck_17

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
Thank you very much. While I'm usually pretty leary about programs like this, the free version of Driver Booster 3 did the trick. It found a couple of "extremely old" USB drivers and after installing the updates, the external drives show up in Disk Management where I just need to assign a driver letter.

I should note that mine was a clean install of Windows 10 Pro current version. I'm pretty sure that with a previous install of Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7, I didn't have this problem. I'll certainly never trust Windows Update for necessary drivers ever again...

Satyass

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Can you tell me which drivers are updated by driver booster in particular! Thanks in advance