Do I need to get a new OS if I change my motherboard and CPU (OEM Win 8.1)

Marcus6183

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Hi, I am planning to upgrade my MOBO and CPU from MSI 970 Gaming+AMD FX 8320E to Gigabyte Z170X Gaming-5+i5 6600k. But if I do this, do I need to buy a new OS? My current OS is an (OEM version)Win 8.1 upgraded to Win 10. I really don't want to buy a new OS.
Please Help!
Thanks

Solution
Technically, changing the board is like making a new system and breaks the OS license, but, MS may authorize an activation over the phone if you tell them the old motherboard was defective and needed to be replaced. It seems to be common practice for them to do this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
OEM copies of windows match themselves (in most cases) to the motherboard and CPU they installed on, so even if you swapped just one of these it may ask you to buy new licence. So changing both means that you need a new copy of windows and to avoid this happening again, I would buy the retail copy of windows 10 that can move from one pc to the next.

Sorry about that.

Technically, changing the board is like making a new system and breaks the OS license, but, MS may authorize an activation over the phone if you tell them the old motherboard was defective and needed to be replaced. It seems to be common practice for them to do this.

Solution