Blue Screen of Death after update

jinwei_

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
According to this: http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-reboot-loop-after-windows-10-update.html

I can get a fix if I click check for updates but I'm stuck at the BSOD for ~40 minutes already and no error message popped up, do I have to just keep waiting or is there anything I can do?

Edit: after 1.5 hours in total, PC finally booted up, seems to have logged me out of chrome, steam etc

Could it be due to the fact that I downloaded "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" and attempted to remove shortcut arrows, but I did revert my computer back to the state before I did that, so I'm suspecting it has nothing to do with that.

But before I restarted my computer, I tried to click check for updates multiple times but there was no update, so I restarted the computer to check if it was working normally again, and it isn't... it's BSOD all over again

Edit 2: I'll try using window recovery's "reset this PC" to see if it works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I'm not too sure if I'd recommend following that guide. They get a lot wrong like recommending things you can do in Windows when you have an update loop when you can't get into Windows.

You can try System Restore, but that's notoriously unreliable so don't put too much weight in that. You will want to boot into Safe Mode if possible to do this.

You can try running Windows Recovery Media and running Startup Repairs.

Anything else at this point would rely on you having a disk image or a snapshot to restore to. If not you'll likely have to re-format the machine. I'd recommend getting a backup solution in place. Programs like Acronis True Image, Rollback Rx, Comodo Time Machine, and Macrium Reflect are all good choices.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I'm not too sure if I'd recommend following that guide. They get a lot wrong like recommending things you can do in Windows when you have an update loop when you can't get into Windows.

You can try System Restore, but that's notoriously unreliable so don't put too much weight in that. You will want to boot into Safe Mode if possible to do this.

You can try running Windows Recovery Media and running Startup Repairs.

Anything else at this point would rely on you having a disk image or a snapshot to restore to. If not you'll likely have to re-format the machine. I'd recommend getting a backup solution in place. Programs like Acronis True Image, Rollback Rx, Comodo Time Machine, and Macrium Reflect are all good choices.

Solution