Issue with monitor going black for several seconds, need help

ZEBuckeye81

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
I just completed my first build, which includes a a i5-6600k, Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 mobo, and no gpu yet (using integrated Intel graphics for now). I am using a Dell E2414Ht monitor connected via dvi-d. This monitor has been used by my wife in a dual monitor setup using a dock with her work laptop wen working at home. I currently am also using a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse setup, with a USB dongle.

So, ever since first posting my build, I have been having an issue with the display going black for a few seconds then coming back on. Obviously this is frustrating in any usage, but considering my desire to do some gaming this is unacceptable. There is no rhyme or reason as to when - no matter how long the display or system has been on, what task I am doing, etc. I have made sure I have the updated graphics drivers, and also have double checked dvi-d connections. My mobo does not have a VGA port.

For the first time since my build, my wife plugged a VGA cable into the monitor (my system was off) and ran it to her laptop dock. She states she did not experience any of what I described. She however does state that she had noticed this occasionally before, but cannot recall if she was using a VGA connection or possibly a different connection.

What could be going on here? Possible bad dvi-d port on the monitor, or even perhaps my mobo? The monitor does not have a HDMI port, and as mentioned my mobo does not have a VGA port, so I am unable to try those methods. I am trying to avoid using the other monitor which is slightly smaller and older/lower quality.

Thanks for any advice!

If she's certain it happened before w/ her laptop dock, I'd suspect a monitor issue. You've already tried updating drivers, so that's not the issue. You may want to try to replicate the issue outside of Windows, even though you pointed out its random. How often does this occur, every few minutes, or hours? May want to try a bootable Ubuntu Linux disc/USB or even just sitting in the UEFI for awhile to see what happens. For testing purposes, I'd still try the older small monitor to make sure it's not your motherboard. Other than this, a DVI-VGA adapter, but I'm guessing you would have tried this if you had one available.

ZEBuckeye81

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, I'll verify, but she did initially state it has occurred previously. I may have an adapter floating around, and will try the other monitor as well as just going into UEFI to see if it happens while in there. My main priority is ensuring it is not my mobo. As for how often, it just varies. Sometimes it does it several times within a couple of minutes, other times its a bit longer. All I know is that it happens often enough to be extremely annoying lol

ZEBuckeye81

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Ok, so the power light on the monitor does not flicker and.... I plugged the dvi-d into the other monitor.... And it does the same thing!!

So now I'm freaking out a little. Could it be a bad cable? It's a brand new cable matters branded dvi-d I bought off Amazon. Or, worse, could it be a bad port on the mobo? I'm going to see if I have a way to adapt to another port, but as mentioned, no VGA on the mobo.

ZEBuckeye81

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

So, it has been a while since I have been able to play around with this issue anymore (and yes, it has still been doing the same thing, and at times driving me bezerk!! The only good thing about not having time to do anything much on my desktop lately is the fact that I haven't had to deal with it too often...).

So I did indeed get a new dvi-d cable....and the issue continues. Sigh. Looking like a possible mobo issue? Which bites, since I have no desire to deal with trying to RMA it through Gigabyte as I've read this can take quite a while, which would mean I'd be down to only my laptop for doing anything, unless I went out and bought another mobo to use for the time being, but I'm not sure I want to deal with that either.

I did however finally decide on and order a GPU last week, so my 1070 arrived yesterday, which once I install will eliminate the need to use the mobo dvi port. Fingers crossed, while standing on one leg, that I won't have any issues there, and I'll just know for the future that the dvi port on this mobo does not work properly.

ZEBuckeye81

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Neither of the cables or any of the connections appeared damaged in any way. I was hoping it was just a bad cable, but today learned that is not the case as I hooked it up with a new cable. I don't believe it's a power issue either, as I would think I would see other effects, not just this isolated issue? I'm running a evga 550 g2, and I currently don't have much of a load on it whatsoever and when I put everything together ensured proper connections everywhere. The psu, and everything else for that matter, is new as of April when I completed my build. Monitor does not exhibit this behavior when plugged into my wife's laptop.