Laptop preload with Windows 8 but have not installed it yet, can I get window 10 without starting up with window 8

Wildwinding

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
Bought computer with Windows 8 in may 2015' have even turned it on yet and would like to start out with Windows 10

Solution

You'll have to turn it on in Win 8 first.
Get it all updated
Then and only then can you do the Upgrade to WIn 10.

The WIN 10 install must see 1 of 2 things:
Either a currently activated, valid, updated OS (the Win 8)
or
A valid license. Either Win 10 or a previous qualifying Win 7 or 8. But you can't get the WIn 8 license. It is embedded int he motherboard, and not printed on the case as it used to be.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you know the licence key for the win 8 install?

If yes, then install win 10 and use the win 8 key.

If no, might want to run 8 and get the win 10 update via windows update or just download win 10 here and choose option one.
Windows 10 media creation tool

Preloaded copies have the key already installed so you may need to take this one extra step to make sure it activates in win 10.

Wildwinding

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

If I can't find key, r u saying load new computer with 8, then do updates and there's a choice there or load 8 and then go to windows media creation, still a little confused. Don't see product key with new computer paperwork? Thank you so much for helping me understand this.

USAFRet

Titan

You'll have to turn it on in Win 8 first.
Get it all updated
Then and only then can you do the Upgrade to WIn 10.

The WIN 10 install must see 1 of 2 things:
Either a currently activated, valid, updated OS (the Win 8)
or
A valid license. Either Win 10 or a previous qualifying Win 7 or 8. But you can't get the WIn 8 license. It is embedded int he motherboard, and not printed on the case as it used to be.

Solution