BSOD "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR" when running games

SpicyRamen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hello,

I recently was given a laptop from a friend who bought it in 2013 and no longer had use for it. While he owned it, the issues I am experiencing started and he never figured it out. The problems exist when running any 3D game application. The laptop runs flawlessly otherwise.

First, the Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: M17xR4
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.72.24A11
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: 11.2
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M

Basically, the system will go to a BSOD immediately when I run Guild Wars 2 (32 and 64 versions) for any longer than 3-5 minutes. It is pretty much always stating "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR". With other games, the BSOD takes significantly longer. For example, Hearthstone, WoW and Diablo 3, I can have them open for a good hour before anything occurs, but usually with those games I get a message that the display driver crashed before a BSOD happens.

Only once have I gotten a different BSOD message, but that was a strange event. Basically I was on Teamspeak with friends and was running Hearthstone, and the display driver crashed. I told them I anticipated the blue screen but it didn't happen for a good 5 minutes or so, until that point the only application I was able to access was Teamspeak, everything else was frozen. The BSOD that I got that time was "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE".

Before my friend gave me the laptop he wiped it and it had a fresh installation of Windows 10 when I received it. So I naturally made sure to update the software and all drivers. Everything is up to date right now. Except maybe the BIOS.

I've done some searching for things to try but I keep running into things that are relevant to AMD GPU users, not NVIDIA.

Any help to get me started in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Also apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong place. :)

Edit: I should also mention that I have indeed made sure that temps are fine when under load.

SpicyRamen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

I haven't actually, I didn't even think about that. I'll do that right now, thanks for the idea!

SpicyRamen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
So I switched the option for the video card from an automatic setting to just the NVIDIA card, ran GW2, and now I've been in the game for 40 minutes and nothing has happened yet! It's running beautifully too. If this was all I had to do then that's fantastic, haha. Thanks again.