Unable to download via browser, but can stream videos and browse internet.

Jinchu84

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello all,

First of all since this is potentially an internet issue I will point out that we are with iinet in Australia and have recently (like a month ago) connected to new NBN broadband plans

The internet was good for about a week or two but we have recently come across a problem. No PCs in the house are able to download any files from download links such as new software from zip files, .exe files, drivers, .dll files, music ... or anything, from a browser. We can still browse the internet fine as proven by the fact that I am currently making this post. We can stream youtube and any other videos at 720p no problems directly from a browser. Our speed test from http://www.speedtest.net/ shows our connection at 30mb/s download and 20mb/s upload.

However, when ever anyone in the house tried to download a file, it will time out and fail because it is so slow, like less than 1b/s. No matter what site the file is from.

This is also the case when trying to update games via steam. It times out or takes all night fro a few kbs worth of updates. I have tried Chrome and Edge browsers. I cant try anymore like firefox because I am unable to download the files to install it.

I am wondering if it would be a problem with iiNets NBN network unable to handle the load of all the new NBN customers in the area, or if we have some settings wrong in our router. Does downloading files use different ports than just browsing ... ?? I really have no idea.

Desperate for help guys so thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jinchu.

Solution
Perhaps your router set up wrongly or your connection itself is... you need to contact IInet as the problem may be at their end. and having been through that before, call them, don't email them as they can be over one month behind with emails. It took them a few weeks to figure out why my speed was so slow. You might need a technician to come out and look at connection.

they can logon to your router from their end and make sure its set up right. they may also send you a replacement if its at fault since they supply them with the plan (or did for us).

I am on an 80/20 VDSL2 plan and was only getting 5mb/20 for a few weeks. They had to come out and fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Perhaps your router set up wrongly or your connection itself is... you need to contact IInet as the problem may be at their end. and having been through that before, call them, don't email them as they can be over one month behind with emails. It took them a few weeks to figure out why my speed was so slow. You might need a technician to come out and look at connection.

they can logon to your router from their end and make sure its set up right. they may also send you a replacement if its at fault since they supply them with the plan (or did for us).

I am on an 80/20 VDSL2 plan and was only getting 5mb/20 for a few weeks. They had to come out and fix it.

Solution