Weird Windows USB bootable problem

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Hi,

So i want to install windows in my hdd because i want to troubleshoot some issues. I have a windows installed to my ssd right now which i want to keep. So i made a partition in my hdd, and made a bootable usb in rufus. I made it MBR and it booted in. When i try selecting my disk which was intended to install windows on, it said that my disk was GPT, not MBR. So i decided to just make my usb GPT instead of MBR. The real confusing problem is, when i make my USB GPT, it doesn't boot into it. It always says "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot decide and press a key". I don't know why it doesn't want to boot into a GPT bootable usb but it wants to boot into a MBR usb. Anyways, should i try disconnecting my ssd for a while, and try again?

Thanks!

Solution

Hi,

I was trying to install windows 10, the windows thing doesn't make GPT usb things, only MBR, Anyways i found a solution. When i was going to the boot part, instead of choosing UEFI: (name of usb) i was just choosing (name of usb). Its all good now.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Hi,

I knew that lol. I dont want to format my hardrive into a mbr cuz it has stuff in it, thats why i made another partition where its going to go. So i need to figure out how to make the os gpt compatible. My problem goes that my pc doesn't boot into the usb when its GPT, it only boots in when its MBR

Colif

Win 11 Master
What version of windows are you trying to install? If its win 10, then it should install fine on GPT, but if you trying to install win 7, you might have an issue as it won't install to GPT, and you can't have MBR and GPT partitions on the same drive as they 2 different partitioning schemes,

you shouldn't need to use rufus, the media creation tool can make bootable USB and I never had this problem using one.

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Hi,

I was trying to install windows 10, the windows thing doesn't make GPT usb things, only MBR, Anyways i found a solution. When i was going to the boot part, instead of choosing UEFI: (name of usb) i was just choosing (name of usb). Its all good now.

Solution