Creating A Windows 10 Boot Drive HELP

dclite

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I'm using the tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This tool allows you to create an ISO on a DVD, or USB device, which I am hoping to do.
My question is that since im going to be creating a fresh install of windows on a new SSD, when i try to install windows 10 on it with the USB, will I run into any problems, like do i need an activation key or something?

Also Side note, Since i would have my windows 10 on the SSD, Should I delete/completely erase the other hard drive (my main now) so i can just use it as a documents,pictures,games Drive?

Solution

Ok then. No problem! (probably)

Create the install media, either DVD or USB.
Install.
Was this a preinstalled OS, or Upgraded from something else?
Either way, your system info is registered at home base.
When it asks, "I don't have a product key" is what you select. It should allow you to continue.

If this...

Colif

Win 11 Master
not if you putting it in the same computer win 10 was already installed in, it will be fine. the licence is matched to the CPU/motherboard so it will be fine.

when installer asks for a key, click "I don't have one" and win 10 will activate itself when you are finished installing it.

Yes to second :)

copy anything you want off it first.

follow this if you unsure: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

dclite

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Thanks for replying, Can you elaborate more on the first thing you said? What I plan to do is erase my hard drive now completely, take it out of the slot, then add the new SSD with the USB, install windows on it, and then later add my old main hard drive as a storage device to store documents,pictures,and some game. Would this work? I currently have windows 10 install on this main hard drive im using now.

Also Another question, Do you know if i might need an activation key or something when installing Windows on the new SSD?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

USAFRet

Titan

OK, so you're creating the install media.
Is this for a system with an existing OS? Or is this a whole blank system?

If it is a system with no OS, then yes...you will need a valid license key. Windows 10 is not 'free'.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1st part, yes that will work. Its the best things to do as then libraries are all safely on a 2nd drive and far more likely to survive any accidents that occur on the c drive. Means next reinstall is less painful.
2nd part: when installer asks for a key, click "I don't have one" and win 10 will activate itself when you are finished installing it.

its all auto now, MIcrosoft have a record of your pc on their end and know its activated.

USAFRet

Titan

Currently, we do not know the existence of a previous qualifying OS. So "win 10 will activate itself" is completely unknown.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
What OS do you currently have?

If you have Win10 you can just install Win10 again as Windows servers already have a fingerprint of your computer. It'll activate when you get online.

If its Win 7 or Win 8 you can take the key and use that when it asks for a key before you are about to install. (It'll take about a minute to do calculations but it should go forward.)

If you have an OEM machine dell, HP, Etc if its windows 8 or above you don't need to worry about the key. It'll pull the key from the BIOS.
If you have an OEM machine with Windows 7, you have to use the key from the sticker.

If you built this computer yourself and you cant find the key, the produkey software will pull the key.
Note if this is an OEM machine the Key that produkey pulls won't work with the windows 10 install. Its a key only OEMs can use with their specific install programs.

USAFRet

Titan

Assume...
This is why I asked the questions I did. Currently, not enough info to say.

What OS, if any, is it coming from?
If this is an upgrade from a previous OS, but on a new SSD, you do it one way. If it was a preexisting WIn 10, but on a new SSD, you do it a different way.

Let's see what the OP comes back with.

dclite

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I'm not sure how to explain this but ill try. I am buying an SSD to use as my main drive. I currently have a working copy of windows 10 on my current hard drive, im looking to use the media tool to install windows 10 on the SSD, but im going to delete/and remove my current main hard drive from the computer before installing the new one. Will this work? and then after ill use my main 500gb right now as a storage device.

dclite

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Yeah, I have windows 10 on my hard drive right now, im gonna create a media tool to install windows on the new SSD, im wondering if i will run into any problems

USAFRet

Titan

Ok then. No problem! (probably)

Create the install media, either DVD or USB.
Install.
Was this a preinstalled OS, or Upgraded from something else?
Either way, your system info is registered at home base.
When it asks, "I don't have a product key" is what you select. It should allow you to continue.

If this was a Win 10 that you purchased, then you will probably need to know the license key.

Solution