Mozilla Firefox and the Windows 10 Taskbar...

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hello, beautiful people.
The other day I noticed something about Mozilla Firefox and the Windows 10 taskbar.
Those of you that have Windows 10 and use Firefox, do me a favor...
Pin Firefox to the taskbar. Then open it.
Does it create a second Firefox icon on the taskbar to show the active open window?
OR
Does it simply "fill" the taskbar shortcut you just created to show that there is an active window?

The latter has always been true for me. Click the icon, it "fills" with a white-ish background to show that there is an active window. Additional windows would give a little "notch" on the right side to show there are multiple windows open, etc.
Seemingly only recently, I've noticed that no matter how I open up Firefox, it has to create an additional icon on the taskbar, next to the taskbar shortcut FOR FIREFOX! Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge all work normally in this regard.

What have I done?

Solution
Unpin firefox from taskbar and close it.
Run firefox again and pin it to taskbar.
It will work as it should (until next time you update firefox to newer version).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
on my win 10 machines this dos not happen. i seem to remember something like this in an older build but it has been fixed/changed in the newer build.

i am running home and pro on numerous machines and they are all updated to latest builds and it just changes the icon and not make a new one. my insider build also does it this way.

try updating windows and firefox to see that you have whatever update was put out. no idea who made the change but i am updates fully all around and not seeing what you are.

USAFRet

Titan
Win 10 Pro, Upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro 2 days ago.

FF as my main/default browser.
Multiple browser windows are simply stacked in that single taskbar icon. You can tell there is more than one instance open, but not individual icons.

Hovering my mouse over the FF icon gives this:
pZQSffk.jpg

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

I will try again, but I've uninstalled Firefox completely, reinstalled, repinned it, and it continued to produce additional windows. We shall see...

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
It seems, my good friend, you are correct!
It must have been the way I was pinning it previously that produced it.
I generally will drag and drop icons to the taskbar, because early on with Windows 10 not everything gave you the option to pin it. Not all apps had pin to taskbar as an option in the context menu, so I got used to dragging and dropping.
That must be where it resulted.
This time I unpinned, closed. Opened from Start, then right clicked the icon it produced and pinned IT.
Thank you again, ladies and gents.