Questions about multi-monitor setup with different resolutions/framerates.

WildCard999

Titan
I currently use a 1080P 144hz monitor (ASUS VG248QE) and its been great for racing games and BF4 but I want something a bit nicer for my more detailed games such as Fallout 4/Witcher 3/Dark Souls 3/etc. I was looking at the Acer G257HU smidpx (1440P/60hz) and had a couple questions...
1-Will I be able to set up both monitors so I could use my Asus for my faster paced games and use the Acer for my detailed games with both of them connected?
2-If not, what would be the easiest way to set these up?

Idk if this will help but the Asus is connected via DVI-D and the Acer would be connected via HDMI. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
You may have issues using them together. Multi's with mixed resolution and refresh sometimes have intermittent issues surrounding driver updates, but simply turning off the one you're not gaming on solves the issue. In theory though, gaming on one and multitasking on another should be OK.

Have you considered a three monitor setup with 1080s though? With the wider FOV in the games you mentioned, it can make up for the narrower FOV of each monitor.

Geekwad

Admirable
You may have issues using them together. Multi's with mixed resolution and refresh sometimes have intermittent issues surrounding driver updates, but simply turning off the one you're not gaming on solves the issue. In theory though, gaming on one and multitasking on another should be OK.

Have you considered a three monitor setup with 1080s though? With the wider FOV in the games you mentioned, it can make up for the narrower FOV of each monitor.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
Yea I kind of figured i'd run into issues if i didn't disable the other monitor or lower the framerate of the Asus monitor. I did think of running a 3-monitor setup. I suppose I could adjust the settings accordingly and i'm sure my system (in sig) could keep framerates around 120+ for BF4 and then keep framerates around 60+ with my single player games. I would have to save up another 260$ but it would be pretty sweet to game at 5760x1080 @120 FPS.

WildCard999

Titan
If I do decide on the 3-monitor's @120hz would this work?

(1)780-DVI-D to monitor 1
(1)780-DVI-I to monitor 2
(2)780-DVI-D to monitor 3

I run the monitor @120hz with Nvidia Lightboost. I guess if those for some reason didn't work I could just use the DP connection.

Geekwad

Admirable
Not sure, but you can use this tool to check:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

DP to DVI of course is always a possibility.

And there is definitely a playable setting for SLI 780s at 5760x1080, but catching a cheap 980ti 6 months from now when everyone is a flutter with the x80ti 'coming' and pascal x70's and x80's having aged a bit on the market is what I'd look for. If one of those drops a bit under $500 in the fall (quite possible as I've seen some go in the $500's already), then that would drive that multi-resolution quite well.

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks for that link! I think going to hold off on a GTX 980ti since the performance is about the same as my two 780 6gb's and I would have to SLI them for it to be worth it. If anything I'll probably just wait for something drastically more powerful then the 980ti and make the jump to SLI (maybe) from there. Thanks a lot for the help Geekwad!