Using XP to create bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive for installation

runnaky

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I have an old laptop with windows xp on it and i will be using rufus to put windows 10 on my usb.

Will the installation work in my UEFI system on my new MBO(Asrock B150A-X1) because i cant choose GPT partition scheme in RUFUS(because of windows XP)?

Does this matter at all,will it work with both options?
When i plug in my new hard drive will i have to change some bios settings before installation? I never had a UEFI computer so i wouldnt know...

Solution
Should be no problem. The software that writes the drive doesn't care what it's running on to actually write the data to the thumbdrive. You could boot up in a live Linux CD enviornment and write the ISO to the thumb drive and it'll work fine.

wakeboardnzx

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
In order to have a boot-able flash drive you need to have the file format as NTFS or FAT32.
Restart you computer with the USB stick in, during the bios process hit Del, f12, f10, whatever your bios specific key is) and then simply select the USB stick as the boot device.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
On many of the newer motherboards you can get an option at POST which goes along the line of 'Press F-## to select boot device'. At that point you should be able to select your thumb drive to install W10.

The big question is - why don't you just copy any files you want to keep to an external drive, then flat out wipe the drive completely, then do the install. That would keep you from having any pre-configured incompatibilities. Plus, I don't know if W10 will let you -upgrade- from XP, so you might have to wipe the drive anyhow.

runnaky

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

im not upgrading from win xp,im just using a trash win xp laptop to create a usb installation which i will then put in a brand new pc(i have no pc access besides this crappy laptop)

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

AH... got it. There should be no problem as GPT has nothing to do with really creating thumb drives. UEFI BIOS's can boot either FAT32 MBR partitions or GPT partitions, and even if the software is booted in a MBR situation (as from a thumbdrive) it can still format and partition drives in GPT style.

What size is your boot drive, and which version of W10 are you going to install? (32b or 64b)

runnaky

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Usb is 16gb,w10 x64

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Should be no problem. The software that writes the drive doesn't care what it's running on to actually write the data to the thumbdrive. You could boot up in a live Linux CD enviornment and write the ISO to the thumb drive and it'll work fine.

Solution