Unable to Install Cumulative Update for Win 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems KB3147458

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
For the best part of last month my computer has been trying to install the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458).

The computer behaves like it does for all the Tuesday updates to Windows, except that after a couple of restarts I get the message that the update could not be installed and that the changes were being reverted.

Since this update have ben released, this happens every time I restart. Needless to say, it is profoundly annoying because now a restart takes close to 15 minutes and the update is not installed at all.

This is what I see in the Update History:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458)
Failed to install on 5/2/2016
Failed to install on 5/1/2016
Failed to install on 5/2/2016
Failed to install on 4/30/2016

But there have been many more attempts to install it that those. At some point I had emptied the update cache following the instructions to try to fix this issue.

The instructions (briefly) instructed to rename the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and restart.

That didn't work. I also used the Windows Update Troubleshooter distributed by Microsoft. No joy there either.

I am this close to doing a fresh install, but I am really weary of going that route because of the huge dent it imparts on my productivity. In other words: I have to work and reinstalling all my programs is not going to be something I want to do. Usually it takes me a week to reinstall and configure my programs the way I like to work.

I would like to either stop windows from updating for a while, until a new cumulative update is available and try my luck there or find some other solution. Unfortunately, no one at Microsoft has considered the possibility that after 10 or 15 failed updates maybe continuing to try updating the system is futile.

Many others have this problem and I read the responses. Not good. But I didn't see this issue covered here, and I trust Tom's above everything else.

Thank you for your help

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
So here's the thing. An update from Windows can fail for many reasons: a prerequisite is not installed, supporting software is corrupted, the operating system is corrupted somewhere and/or altered those system files, etc.

How I would tackle this is to research that update and what it needs to install (Microsoft or somebody should have a page dedicated to it). For the things it says it needs, make sure they're installed, and if they are, reinstall them.

Once all that is done, try again.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Unfortunately, I have been researching this issue for some time and I couldn't find what exactly was wrong with my installation of windows to fail to install this update. All the others have been installed perfectly for the past 6 months.
I tried repairing the win 10 installation, but in reality there is nothing wrong with it that I can tell and the update installs until it reaches almost 100%. Microsoft support has not been helpful even though they started a thread covering this particolar update. Among those that have been able to install it, many have had problems afterwards.

I would be happy to stop windows from updating until they released a better update, but it won't let me. Every time I restart, it tries installing it and then goes through the same failed procedure.

I wish someone at Microsoft had the foresight to give a user the ability to stop installation after the 15th time they failed. Or something. I am about to do a fresh install unless someone with experience with this update comes up to the plate with an answer. I doubt it, but one can hope.

Thank you for the suggestion. unfortunately it's not what I am looking for..

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
For the record, I found this out in my ReportingEvents.log:

{0939DD48-AB94-405B-9628-E277137AAC02} 2016-05-02 12:08:11:629-0700 1 182 [AGENT_INSTALLING_FAILED] 101 {34515DF7-3D11-4FA9-98AD-77C6F0DAFC2A} 205 800f0922 UpdateOrchestrator Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800f0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458).

The important info here being the error code: 800f0922
And the update number: KB3147458

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Interesting. I had noticed there was another update that created the same type of problem for many users.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the point of view) yesterday I lost my patience dealing with this problem and I simply formatted my C drive and I did a fresh install of Windows 10.

I am happy to report that after the clean install the update had no problem installing.

This was a long time coming, as my update from win 7 to win 10 was never that good to begin with. I hadn't yet done it because just thinking of all the programs I have to install and configure makes me feel ill.

But it is done and I am afraid I cannot try your solution. I have half a mind to mark it anyway since it is the best suggestion I got so far.

FOr the record, when I was still trying to fix my installation I went to try to validate a bunch of .dll inside /windows/ and a bunch of them were not validating.

I researched that and I found a post from someone that seemed to know their stuff saying that they had been infected and if you could not register those specific DLLs you might as well do a fresh install. So that was the last straw.

Thank you for talking the time. There are plenty of people with this same problem. Maybe one of them can try your suggestion

Zacca

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
I have the same problem... It takes like 5min to start my computer as Win-update is trying to update and then restarts and update fails, restarts again and update get removed and it restarts again. Fcuk Win-10. I bought a full version with a USB-stick, but the stick did not work so I hade to download one on Piratebay and make my own USB-Installation-stick but still using my own serial key when installing it.

I have like 40-50 FAILED of these two since 23'rd of April:
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421)

I'm so fed-up with this shit so I want to change my full version of Win-10 to a Win-7 license instead if possible.

Zacca

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
I have the same problem... It takes like 5min to start my computer as Win-update is trying to update and then restarts and update fails, restarts again and update get removed and it restarts again. Fcuk Win-10. I bought a full version with a USB-stick, but the stick did not work so I hade to download one on Piratebay and make my own USB-Installation-stick but still using my own serial key when installing it.

I have like 40-50 FAILED of these two since 23'rd of April:
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421)

I'm so fed-up with this shit so I want to change my full version of Win-10 to a Win-7 license instead if possible.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I am afraid I don't have good news for you. I am the OP and in my case eventually I had to scrap my OS and do a fresh install. By that I mean I reformatted my C Drive, installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, picked up the pieces and live with it.

O(ne thing that may make my case different from yours is that after a lot of research and after trying to fix the issue my re-establishing my ownership of some system DLL (I apologize for the vagueness, I did a lot of things in those few days) I read a post by someone that sounded extremely competent on the topic and that said that if I could not regain ownership of the specific DLLs I was having issues with, almost certainly my system was hacked into and a fresh install was pretty much my only option.

Since I had good reason to believe that after almost 10 years of infection free computing someone finally nailed me I decided to skip to the fresh install.

I don't know if you can switch to win 7, but I would urge you to give win 10 another try. Just do a completely fresh install if you can.

In my case, I have a SSD C drive where I keep OS and programs only (and then only my major programs, I keep minor ones and games on a separate drive).
Then I have a D drive where I keep my documents, downloads, etc. for my work profile and a Z drive where I keep my gaming profile related files and folders as well as games (some demanding games are installed on the C drive since is an SSD and therefore faster, but most of my games do not need the extra speed of the SSD. I found a much greater improvement by buying a kick ass GPU than I ever did running a game on the SSD).

Immediately after the fresh install, I run all my AV and Malware programs. I cleaned a bunch of possible infections (they were hacked websites and zipped with a password at that, but I cleaned them anyway) then I did another fresh install of windows (which at that level was pretty easy since I did not install my programs yet.

Basically, I did the first fresh install just to clean my computer as much as I could, the second fresh install to make sure I had no infections. After the second fresh install I re-run all my AV and Malware programs.

The reason I am harping on the infection angle is because in my case I am pretty sure that was contributing to the update issues I was having, second, all my AV and MW, rootkit, etc. programs did finds some infections but they were unable to clean them. I don't know if your computer is infected, but in the off, off chance it is and your AV is not finding anything, I suggest you follow a similar procedure. It may be overkill but at least now I am reasonably sure I am not infected anymore, and if I am, they darn well deserve it because they are too good for me.