Internal hard drive isn't recognized by computer

Jackson_8

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi all,

I've been currently having troubles with my Seagate - Barracuda 1TB hard drive. The problem is - My computer won't recognize it as a drive any more. Although I can go into disk management and it comes up, but every time I try to initialize it, it comes up with the error ''the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error''. I'm still not 100% what this error means and I've tried numerous times to find out. I'm not sure if this is the issue because I've done it numerous times. but the other morning I thought my computer was off but I unplugged the socket going into the wall, which obviously killed power to the computer. I'm not sure if that could've caused it, cause ever since then it hasn't worked. I've gone into Bios and sometimes it comes up, but because its just a storage drive (my OS is on my SSD) I can't boot from it etc. I've tried using Seagate Diagnostics Tool and every time I run a test it says ''Long Test Failed'' OR ''Fast test Failed''. I'm running out of ideas on what to do, and what exactly is going, I hope it hasn't died. I've tried didn't SATA ports and changed the cable and still no luck... So if someone could help me out would really appreciate it.

Hi there Jackson_8,

I/O(input/output) errors could sometimes be caused by faulty connections. Yet, you've mentioned that you've already attached the drive to another SATA port with a different cable. Keep in mind that you need to use both different SATA & power cables. It will not hurt to attach it to another system as well.
In case the issue persists, then the drive has most probably failed. If you have some data stored on it, you can try to access it with a data recovery tool: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Jackson_8

Reputable
May 2, 2016

Thanks D_Know_WD
I didn't change the power cable although I've tested another Seagate drive only 250gb wit hthe same cables and it works fine, so I'm sure its not the cable, if it has probably failed - Why does my computer still read it? I'm unsure.

Well, the drive may still not be completely dead. What are the reasons for the test fails?
In some HDD failure cases, the drive will not even spin up. In others, the system would detect it, but it would be unusable.(unresponsive, having many bad sectors, etc.)

Try to get your data off the drive in case you can access it.(data recovery tool)
After that, you can try using some of these tools and see what is wrong with the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Observe the SMART report and look for any abnormal values.