New build Asus Maximus VIII Hero keeps crashing

kasawd

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Hi all, I put together a system upgrade around 5 months ago, It keeps crashing at least every hour or 2 while gaming, I don't think it has crashed while not gaming.
My System is

Asus Maximus VIII Hero(new part)
Intel i7-6700k (new part)
16 GB Corsair 3200 DDR4( 2 * 8 gig sticks CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) (new part)
Corsair H110i GTX liquid cpu cooler (new part)
Sapphire Vapour-X HD7970 ghz edition(3 gb) (old part)(used to run in X-fire with another but removed to see if it was power issues)
250 gig SSD for boot drive (old part)
2 tb and 500 gb secondary drives (old parts)
numerous case fans (old parts)
Aerocool Xstrike full tower case (old parts)
Antec HCG-900 900 watt psu (old parts)

I initially ran windows 7 and upraded to windows 10 after installing the new motherboard, cpu, ram and cooler. Before I updraded I never used to crash playing games. Since the upgrade whenever gaming my pc will crash.
There was a small problem with the boards and on some crashes I would get an event in event viewer, however since patching the bios to the latest revision 1601 ( and ones before that too) I hav'nt gotten the event but still I get crashes.

The crash that happens is a sound loop over and over ussually with a screen with vertical lines that is black with grey lines or sometimes brown with light brown lines.

I reloaded windows 10 with a fresh install on to my ssd last week and updated all of my drivers to the lastest versions I can find. I still get the crash no matter what game I play ussually fallout 4 or cs go.
Could you please help me figure out why it keeps crashing the only thing I can find in Event viewer is

Kernal-Power Event ID 41
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This is only for after the crash and I can't find the error for the actual crash.

I'm sorry if this should have been in another place in the forums too.

Could you guys run me through how to find the error or what the error could be please, as after several months of this I really would like a new pc that behaves like a new pc.

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hey, this sounds like a PSU problem. The PSU is either broken, has a defect or just not supply enough power that your PC needs while gaming. What I would do is buy a new pc that gives more power.

kasawd

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
It had enough power before the upgrade with 2 video cards, it should have enough to run one should'nt it? If I swapped power cables to the video card so it runs of a different rail would that make a difference? The power to the vidoe card was 1 cable with 2 8 pin plugs, I have put 2 cables going to the video card now to see if it makes a difference.
The PSU is still under warranty, I just don't know how to prove it faulty.

fakelies6

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

I just completed building a new system using the Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and I too was having random system crashes (about one or two per day performing different tasks (gaming, web browsing, nothing at all)) with the same Kernel-Power Event ID 41. For me, I also noticed that the event log showed a critical error with wlanautoconfig (I think that is how it was presented, bear with me I'm not in front of that computer at the moment). My solution was to disable the wifi adapter in the motherboard and I have not had a crash since. This was not problematic for me as I utilize a wired connection. I check regularly for updated Wifi adapter drivers but Asus and Windows both indicate that I am using the updated drivers.

I realize that the Hero doesn't have built-in wifi but I am posting my experience as I too tried replacing my power supply to no avail. Check through the event log (sorted by date) and see if you can find a common error associated with the power failures. That's how I detected the wlanautoconfig issue. Good luck.