Dvi-D to Vga adapter not working

5zan74

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I bought a new CPU. Add it has gigabyte nvidia GTX 750Ti oc edition it has a dvi-d output ( lots of round pins with one flat pin). As my monitor (LG W1942S) only accepts VGA input I bought a dvi to VGA adapter. But when I start the cpu only check signal error is shown. What should I do?

Solution
DVI-D to VGA adapter (passive) won't work.

If your card has DVI-I port you can use DVI-I to VGA (passive).
If your card does not have DVI-I and has only DVI-D you will need active DVI-D to VGA adapter.
These are more expensive than passive but atleast they do work. So search for active adapter.

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
DVI-D to VGA adapter (passive) won't work.

If your card has DVI-I port you can use DVI-I to VGA (passive).
If your card does not have DVI-I and has only DVI-D you will need active DVI-D to VGA adapter.
These are more expensive than passive but atleast they do work. So search for active adapter.

Solution

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014

Is that VGA port on graphic card? I don't think that 750ti got VGA port. If it is on motherboard it won't work. Motherboard ports work only for integrated GPU (either on motherboard or CPU)

That depends how good a monitor you want.

Your current monitor costs roughly twice as much as an active VGA adapter (UK prices).
Adapter costs £40 - - you wouldn't get a very good monitor for that kind of money.

However, you may want to use this an excuse to buy a new monitor - - I don't like using adapters myself.
You'll get much cleaner picture if it's digital-out (graphics card) & digital-in (monitor).

ironik7

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

Hi, do you know if this active adapter will support 75hz?