Question about upgrading from 7 to 10

nintelevision

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Hey everyone, I have a (hopefully) quick question in regards to upgrading to Windows 10. So I've had an unlicenced version of Windows 7 Ultimate for quite some time now, and I finally decided to actually buy a product key. The problem is that I wasn't really thinking, and the product key I purchased was for Windows 7 Professional, and you'd think that they'd make it a bit more easy to attach a legit key to your Windows, but that isn't the case. I tried switching to Professional using the disk, but apparently that would mean I need to do a clean install, which I'd rather not do. I tried upgrading directly to Windows 10, but even that's giving me issues. So my question is- if I download an ISO of Windows 10, install it, THEN add in my new product key (which is 100% legit, I bought it from Microsoft), will I run into any issues? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and do a fresh install at this point?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Just clean install with 10 Pro and skip 7 Pro entirely (you can enter in your license during install rather than upgrade)

Unlicensed for more than 30 days means you had HACKED version, which means it's a security nightmare and likely contained all sorts of viruses. Starting fresh with a clean installer is the best idea.
Just clean install with 10 Pro and skip 7 Pro entirely (you can enter in your license during install rather than upgrade)

Unlicensed for more than 30 days means you had HACKED version, which means it's a security nightmare and likely contained all sorts of viruses. Starting fresh with a clean installer is the best idea.

Solution

nintelevision

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
So I attempted to just upgrade to 10 Pro using Microsoft's downloadable upgrade tool, and when I got to the product key, it wouldn't accept it (I assume it's because I'm still sitting on Win 7 Ultimate). If I make a bootable USB of Windows 10 and clean install from that, I won't have any product key issues, correct?

Should, but can't say for 100% it will work