Batguerra

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
I have Win 7 64 bit Ultimate installed on my pc whose specs are:
HD 7970 Vapor X 2way
1200W SuperNova EVGA PSU
FX 8350
16gb RAM

The problem is everytime I try to install Win 10 (which I suppose has already been downloaded because it attempts to install) the pc will restart and then nothing. It will go to my desktop but no Windows update will happen. It gives an error on windows update 800B0100.

Two other options:

W10 media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Make sure to get the correct version (should auto detect your system).

1) Upgrade from a disc you create, or

2) Do a CLEAN INSTALL

*If you don't have an SSD this is a great time to get one. If you do a CLEAN INSTALL to the SSD (unhook other drives) then it will install and register W10 automatically (unless you tell it not to).

I'm guessing you have STEAM. Provided you keep the "Steamapps" folder you can reinstall Steam from scratch then move that folder back. I have Steam on my C-drive (default install) but made a folder on my secondary HDD (E:\Steam2) from within Steam settings (can add a folder per drive).

You need to plan this out carefully (including copying back game Saves in Documents and Documents/My Games folders, though if installing to a new driver first at least you have the old one. When you add the old drive back you may need to c hange the BIOS boot order if it tries to boot to the W7 install.

Batguerra

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014

I heard that there are two ways to install it, either upgrading or doing this clean install, which is better and what's the difference?

Btw, I do have an SSD (sorry forgot to specify it) 120Gb about 18 gb free, what do you mean unhook other drivers?

I have Steam indeed but it's in another driver (I don't run it from my SSD), in case I install Windows 10 in my SSD and make a clean install will it also erase my other 2 HDD's? I'm pretty scared with this OS upgrade stuff, had issues in the past.

PS: Where is Windows 10 downloaded to? Like a temp folder or something?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Update: this keeps all your current files and folders and replaces your current windows version with win 10

Clean install - this deletes everything on ssd and replaces it with Win 10.

if you choose clean install, back up everything on ssd before starting, especially if coming from win 7

SSD - Unhook other drives, not drivers :) it makes it safer

other two drives - see note for SSD. if you disconnect their power cables while you install to ssd, it won't touch them at all

with a fresh install you get to decide what to delete so even if you left hdd in, as long as you only worked on drive 0 they would be left alone.. it just safer with them d/c

Windows download location depends on your choice. if you make an ISO it will ask where you want to save it. If you choose update or create a USB it doesn't really ask for a save location, it just downloads the 3.2gb it needs and goes from there.

Batguerra

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Unfortunately I'm still having issues with the installlation. I've tried the microsoft fix it and it installed an archive here. But nothing happened, what happens now is that the download is stuck at 0% and strangely after a while it halts the dowload and asks me if I want to install win 10, I accept it, but after the pc restarts it desn't. It happened like 5 times already, I've been trying to install it last day, but it didn't work.

The file must be corrupted, isn't there a way to find where it is?

TRENDING THREADS