Black bars out of nowhere.

pd2cwe

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I built a brand new pc about a month ago and everything's been working smoothly so far. However, now after starting it up my monitor has small black bars on the left, top, and right sides of the screen. Windows says my resolution is at 2560x1440p which it should be. It's like the monitor literally disabled the edges from working or something. All my drivers are up to date and I'm using windows 10 which is also up to date.

I looked around some settings and even the monitor's own settings and I couldn't fix it, like I said the resolution is what it should be but it just doesn't use the edges somehow.

One thing I noticed is that my pc doesn't seem to recognize my monitor anymore, it simply says Generic PnP Monitor instead of XB271Hu.

Any help for fixing this would be much appreciated.

pd2cwe

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I don't think it has any drivers, I just plugged it in and it worked like it was supposed to. A quick google search doesn't show any drivers either.

Check to see if you have a choice of Hz ranges for the resolution you have selected.
Some monitors can run at 59hz and 60hz changing can bring the image back to fit the dimensions of the display screen.

Depending on what video card you have the provided software suite from Nvidia and ATI will allow you to setup overscan.
This is used to fit the image to the screen at the selected resolution when it does not quiet fit the edges.

So look in the Nvidia or Ati suite.

The other possibility is to use the monitor menu to manipulate the image displayed to stretch the screen horizontal and vertical to fit the panel size of your monitor.