Flashing (black) screen at random times

RanGaming

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
This started a while ago already, and as far as I remember it was only after installing Windows 10 (not sure how long after).

I use a laptop, and an external screen. I never had any problem.

But suddently one day, my external screen started flashing black at random times (which I been able to conclude a little bit that it was always when I started videos and stopped playing games). If I took the VGA cable while it was black, my laptop screen would also turn out black, and won't come back to normal.

After some time it went to my laptop screen instead of my external screen. It just randomly flashes black multiple times and sometimes it stays for a while. Now if I take my VGA cable and put it back in, both screens will be black if I do it while the flash is occurring.

I've uninstalled my graphic card drivers and installed them again from nvidia website, but nothing changed.

I didn't try to use another VGA cable, but I don't think that's the case because even if I do not have the external screen on, it will flash.

Now when I reboot or something else, the booting "menu" (the windows logo and the loading ball and etc) will also start flashing black and sometimes it looks like it is resizing or something. (it goes to the right side and then comes back, etc)

Once when it was black, I tried to grab it on the right side of the computer, on the back, and lift it a little bit and it just went back to normal screen, but when i put it on the table again it just turned black, I kept repeating and it kept doing the same thing.

My friend suggested that it was something called flat cable and that I should open and touch it and then try again, but I am bad at computer stuff so I didn't want to.

Is there any possible solution? Does it have anything to do with resolution? Or is it just hardware, whatsoever?

Hi,

I would say that it can be a hardware problem, the GPU to be exact but please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to uninstall the Nvidia graphics card driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work I would suggest contacting the laptop manufacturer for a repair since the GPU is already faulty.