Please Rate My Build! - Open to Suggestions. 980 Ti Golden Edition and RAM locked in already. Game Development.

Rexintext

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Hey, I would be so thankful to get some suggestions on my build before I order everything in a few days. I have already purchases the GPU, GTX 980 TI Golden Edition. Was on sale for $560 with no tax. Also I got a deal on the G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory so I've already purchased that too.

I'm a bit concerned getting this Micro Motherboard, only has 4 PCi slots and my GPU will take up two. I'm planning on just using a USB Wifi Stick. As far as I can tell I won't need the other PCI slots but I may very well be mistaken.

I am building this PC for Game play and Game development. I use a lot of Unity, Photoshop, Maya and Z-Brush.

*None of the listed pricing are very accurate, PC Part Picker is not very good at accounting for special sale prices.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.38 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($614.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Deepcool 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1292.06

Thanks for having a look, I'm open to discussing whatever you think is relevant here.

DustinV

Honorable
Do you have a hard drive already?
also I'd recommend a cryorig h7 CPU cooler
It comes with Thermal paste

Power supply: stick to Xfx, seasonic, or evga (650w or more)
Deepcool is low quality

Rexintext

Commendable
May 6, 2016

Hey thanks for the reply. No I don't have a hard drive yet. Off the bat I don't think I'll need more storage, I still have another computer.

Interesting choice for the CPU cooler. My only beef is they give you CP9 which is one of their lower ends thermals. I've read from so many sources Arctic Silver is the bee's knees and for only $5 keeping the CPU cooler is well worth it. I'll look into it further though.

I'm annoyed what a pain picking out a PSU is. Sure the brands you recommend are high quality but the cost is insane. Dropping an extra $60-70. The Deepcool was recommended to me by product support Newegg, it does come with a 5yr warranty. Ok I'll look into some better PSU, make sure they have wattage and current protection. I'll also being plugging the computer into a surge protector which should help some.

DustinV

Honorable
Yes you wont use more the 250 gb immediately, but you dont want to save junk onto an SSD. You are going to want it for all for your game development stuff
A 1tb Western digital HDD is only $50 i'd get one

CP9 thermal paste is amazing, as good or even better than arctic silver, The cpu was a few degrees cooler using the CP9 in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBUd1CD3iRI

Power supply is the heart of the system, you shouldnt cheap out on it. I dropped $80 on mine to get the best of the best.
High quality power supplies arnt too expensive, you can get a Seasonin S12 ii 620w, XFX TS 650w, or EVGA 750 B2 under $70

Rexintext

Commendable
May 6, 2016

Rexintext

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Thanks for the tips, some good advice. With the release of info on the GTX 1080 I'm back tracking. Luckily my 980 TI is still factory seal, I'm in the return process right now. I really should have waited!! QQ To be cont.

DustinV

Honorable
Ya i watched the live stream yesterday. I didnt expect pascal to be released this soon, wait for the 1080 for sure!

I'm going to get a 1070 as my graduation present :)