Getting "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and high idle(60-70c)/load(100c) temps i7 4790k

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Hi all

I am experiencing "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" occurring commonly, especially when playing games, although I have also had it when just using Chrome. It seems to be getting worse and has got to the point where I'll load up a game and the computer will BSOD.

.dmp file can be found at http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=51478876419966531661

After searching Google for this error people have suggested that it can be related to high CPU temps causing the BSOD. I checked my CPU temps and they seem to sit around 60c-70c (temp in the room is around 18c) while at idle. Loading any programs, such as steam or Google Chrome will push the temps up to 70c-80c. I know that this CPU has been known to run a bit hot but I thought this seemed a bit hot. If I run a game (just loading it up) the CPU will go up to 100c and then settle around 98c. Running a game will have it sit at 100c at which point I either get the WHEA error or I close the game due to concerns around the temp. I have nothing OC'ed.

What I have tried so far:
Reset BIOS to defaults
Updated BIOS to latest firmware
Updated chipset to latest update
Rolled back recent Windows updates
Applied Arctic silver 5 thermal paste to CPU and cooler (originally had paste the cooler came with)

All of this brought the idle temp down to around 55c, however in the process of opening chrome and typing up this new thread the CPU hit 88c. The GPU is sits around 35c idle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening? I have had this computer for some time now (~1 year) and have not had any issues before. It is a new game (Rainbow six siege) that I first noticed this happening with but I've also experienced the crash while only having Chrome open so I do not think the BSOD is due to the game.

Spec as follows:
CPU: i7 4790k (not OC'ed and never has been)
Cooler: Corsair H100i
MB: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200
HDD: 128GB SSD
RAM: 2 x 8GB

Please let me know if any further information is needed.

Thanks in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you clean the fans inside case out when doing the thermal paste? it seems you have a lack of air flow in that case, are all the intake fans working? dust free? should run a program like speedfan just to see what speeds all the fans ruinning at and temperatures rest of components are hitting - i wouldn't use it to control fans or anything but its a useful monitor.

Where is the radiator for cooler placed? http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2394477/h100i-4790k-high-temps.html

My pc just slightly slower than yours and temp here is around 20c as heater is on, but idle my CPU is on 31c and chrome does raise temps a little on load (as i slack and haven't cleaned case filters recently) its never above 55c, and that with the stock Intel cooler. My case designed for positive pressure cooling though so there is that, directly under CPU there is a 180mm intake fan blowing right at CPU heat sink...

WhEA errors can be either hardware or software but your temps are a good place to start.

what make case have you got and what make/model PSU?

Are you running high performance power plan as that sets CPU to run at 100% all the time, that could increase the heat you generating.

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016
I cleaned the front filter which had a little build up of dust but nothing dramatic. I've just checked the fans and they are all very clean (I'm kind of surprised!).

CPU fan is running at 2200rpm and GPU is sitting at 1450rpm.

My case setup is similar to the one in the thread you posted but I have the CPU radiator fans sucking into the case so the CPU is getting cooled by air from outside of the case. There is also 3 fans at the front of the case blowing air in, 1 fan at the back blowing fan out. In this case the PSU is in a separate compartment to the rest of the computer and is cooling itself with its fan.

My GPU sits at 30c and doesn't generally get that hot so I figured my cooling setup was alright.

Case is a NZXT H440 and I have a Corsair AX Series AX760 760W PSU.

I am not running the performance plan.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you have the radiator at top with 2 fans blowing into it from above?

My brain tells me its still wrong but I haven't used water cooling so it might be okay. In theory the 3 front fans should be enough to keep the pc cool, and create positive air pressure. You sure do have enough intakes, so its strange its getting so hot.
Could be the fans be piercing the radiator and blowing hot air into CPU area, which then recycles and gets blown down again. The water pipes for the H100 might be blocking the top fans air flow and not letting the hot air get blown out - just basing this on pictures of both case & cooler. If H100 facing another direction, its pipes might block exhaust fan, not that you really need one of these as positive air should expel it all fast enough anyway.

there might be some little cyclones going on in case.

Meanwhile can you download and run this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it looks at error logs and might point to a driver causing the errors, not your temps

copy/paste results in here.

nitroxc

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I don't think its anything to do with the fans being dusty mate. Try taking the cooling block off the cpu and reseating it with some decent thermal paste, making sure the block is making full contact and is on nice and tight. It sounds like atm the block isnt making good contact with the cpu or the thermal paste is doing something groovy. 60c idle is crazy for any cpu with watercooling.

Also if your rad is at the top and you got 3 intake fans in the front, you will want to switch your rad fans from sucking into the case, to blowing air from inside the case out.

jasev01

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hi I hope this help. I've been in this same struggles for the last 3 days. Got the WHEA message 3 days ago computer shut off wouldn't post the whole 9. I just wrote this if you want to see my whole struggle story http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3064671/whea-uncorrectable-error-solution-thermal-paste.html but the solution that worked for me as of a few minutes ago and is still working and in process is changing the thermal paste. I see others have said that and maybe you tried and it doesn't work for you but I did that and it seems that was my solution after 3 PSUs and 3 days of all nighters. Admittedly as i said I just got this to work and I haven't loaded it and the CPU stays at 96-97 but it doesn't seem like that is a thing. When I applied the paste I touched it and it did not feel like something at nearly 200 degrees F and the "mother board" temperature for me is 38c. As i said might not work for your but the paste worked for me.

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Hi All

Sorry for the long delay and thanks for the suggestions.

@Colif - The following is the result of WhoCrashed:

The most recent crash was while using Adobe Lightroom. I had suspected that it may have been the game I was playing causing the issues but it still appears to be when the CPU gets hot.

On Mon 6/06/2016 4:35:36 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060616-12406-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xCF)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0013553A028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 6/06/2016 4:35:36 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xCF)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0013553A028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 8/05/2016 3:10:03 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050816-3828-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE000C0CF0028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)

On Wed 4/05/2016 10:25:40 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050416-6640-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE001B0D20028, 0xFF800000, 0x124)

On Tue 3/05/2016 9:14:31 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050316-4468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF800AFDD3760)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x18, 0x0, 0xFFFFD000F53C4180, 0x2)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

On Tue 3/05/2016 8:54:39 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050316-4343-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE000592EA028, 0xFF800000, 0x124)

@Karsten75 & USAFRet - I will flip the cooler and post with results.

@nitroxc & jasev01- I suspected that the thermal paste may have been the issue as well but have already re-applied thermal paste and it made no difference. Used Arctic silver 5.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it should help, blowing hot air in the radiator out of the case makes more sense than blowing it into the case. The hot air had no where to go. it rises but you were blowing it back down onto CPU.

Almost every error report says same thing, its a thermal issue

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Unfortunately having the hot air blow out of the case has not helped, the temperatures remain the same as they were before the change. I did notice that the crash code was different this time with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

On Mon 6/06/2016 6:18:19 a.m. GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFD000FEFEE180)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x18, 0x0, 0xFFFFD000FEFEE180, 0x2)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

I am tempted to pull the heat sync off again and check to see how the thermal paste I applied is sitting, unless there are any other suggestions?

All while this is happening the GPU hasn't gone above 30c.

Colif

Win 11 Master

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016
I was able to run the test and it failed at the CPU load test, all other previous tests passed. Output from the "Testing Status" tab below:

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 3.0.0.25.W.MP
--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 6/06/2016 6:39:27 p.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor 1
Intel(R) spbc Module Test
Module Version: 1.0.7.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:27 2016
Test Result - PASS
..!!..Processor under test is verified as 'PRODUCTION'..!!..

Processor Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
Processor Brand String: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:27 2016
Total Time: seconds: 0
Genuine Intel CPU Test
Module Version: 1.0.12.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:27 2016
Test Result - PASS
Expected: GenuineIntel
Detected: GenuineIntel
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:27 2016
Temperature Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:28 2016
Test Result - PASS
Expected: Greater than 1 degrees below max
Received: 50 degrees below max
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:28 2016
CPU Brand String Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:28 2016
Test Result - PASS
Expected String Parts: As Defined in BrandString_LocalConfig.xml
Detected: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:28 2016
CPU Frequency Test
Module Version: 1.0.14.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:29 2016
Test Result - PASS
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Expected CPU Frequency: 4.00
Detected CPU Frequency: 4.37199
Expected Base Clock: 100
Detected Base Clock: 101.674
Expected frequency - The highest frequency at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate
Detected frequency - The frequency at which the tested processor is currently operating
Power management modes can create marginally higher or lower detected frequency
than expected frequency. Small variations in clock frequencies are common.
QPI link rate Test - Not supported.
Skipping QPI link rate Test.
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:30 2016
Total Time: seconds: 1
Floating Point Test
Module Version: 1.0.10.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:30 2016
Test Result - PASS
Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS: 532.8
Error: 0
--- Floating Point Test Passed!!!---
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:32 2016
Total Time: seconds: 2
Prime Number Generation Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:32 2016
Test Result - PASS
Operation Per Second: 5.31663e+006
Error: 0
--- Prime Number Generation Test Passed!!!---
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:34 2016
Total Time: seconds: 2
Cache Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:34 2016
Test Result - PASS

--- Reading Cache Size ---

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size --> 32
- Detected L1 Inst Cache Size --> 32

- Detected L2 Cache Size --> 256
- Detected L3 Cache Size --> 8192

Cache Size Test Passed!!!

MMXSSE Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:34 2016
Test Result - PASS

--- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities ---
--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---
--- MMX SSE ---
MMX - MMX Supported --> Yes
SSE - SSE Supported --> Yes
SSE2 - SSE2 Supported --> Yes
SSE3 - SSE3 Supported --> Yes
SSSE3 - SSSE3 Supported --> Yes
SSE4.1 - SSE4.1 Supported --> Yes
SSE4.2 - SSE4.2 Supported --> Yes
--- MMX SSE - capabilities check complete ---
MMX Test Result --- PASS
SSE Test Result --- PASS
SSE2 Test Result --- PASS
SSE3 Test Result --- PASS
SSSE3 Test Result --- PASS
SSE4.1 Test Result --- PASS
SSE4.2 Test Result --- PASS

AVX Test
Module Version: 1.0.11.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:35 2016
Test Result - PASS

--- Determining AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities ---
--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---
--- AVX/AES/PCLMULQDQ ---
AVX - Advanced Vector Extensions Supported --> Yes
AVX OS Support - AVX Operating System Supported --> Yes
AES - Advanced Encryption Standard Supported --> Yes
PCLMULQDQ - Polys Carry-Less Multiply Supported --> Yes
--- AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities check complete ---
AVX Compare Test Result --- PASS
AES Test Result --- PASS
PCLMULQDQ Test Result --- PASS

End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:35 2016
IMC Test
Module Version: 1.0.7.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:36 2016
Test Result - PASS
--- Reading Memory Size ---
Detected Memory Size is --> 16.00GB
--- Subtest - Memory Size Test Passed!!! ---
--- Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test ---
Memory to be allocated = 1048576 byte
Memory Allocated.
Test 1 Ones and Zeros Moving Inversions write operations - Passed
Test 1 Ones and Zeros Moving Inversions verification operations - Passed
Test 2 32Bits Sliding Ones write operations - Passed
Test 2 32Bits Sliding Ones verification operations - Passed
Test 3 32Bits Sliding Zero write operations - Passed
Test 3 32Bits Sliding Zero verification operations - Passed
Memory Deallocated.
--- Subtest - Memory Stress Test Passed!!! ---
Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test Passed!!!
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:36 2016
PCH Test
Module Version: 1.0.9.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:36 2016
Test Result - PASS

Chipset : Intel® 9 Series Chipset - Z97
Chipset Stepping : A0

2 device connected to PCI Express Port 1
1 : AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
2 : High Definition Audio Bus

2 device connected to SATA Controller 1
1 : WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2
2 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

4USB devices detected
1 : USB Composite Device
2 : USB Composite Device
3 : USB Input Device
4 : USB Composite Device

1 device connected to Intel High Definition Audio Controller
1 : Realtek High Definition Audio

PCH LAN Device 'Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V' detected

Platform Controller Hub Test Completed!!!
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:36 2016
IGD Module Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:37 2016
Test Result: Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device Not Detected, Test Skipped
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:37 2016
GFX Module Test
Start Time: Mon Jun 06 18:39:37 2016
GFX Module Test: PASS
End Time: Mon Jun 06 18:40:06 2016
Total Time: seconds: 29
--- IPDT64 - Temperature Monitor Results

--- Temperature Test ---
Version 1.0.12.64b.W

50 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - PASS
Expected Greater than 1 degrees below max
Received 50 degrees below max

--- Temperature Test ---
Version 1.0.12.64b.W

Entering run forever
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
27 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - PASS
Received 27 degrees below max
Test PASSED
20 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - PASS
Received 20 degrees below max
Test PASSED
14 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - PASS
Received 14 degrees below max
Test PASSED
11 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - PASS
Received 11 degrees below max
Test PASSED
6 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - PASS
Received 6 degrees below max
Test PASSED
1 degrees C below maximum
Test Result - FAIL
Received 1 degrees below max
Test FAILED
Please check your Processor Thermal Solution
Temperature Monitor Stopped

System Information
------------------
Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Number of Physical Cores: 4
Number of Logical Cores: 8
Installed System Memory: 16 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Graphics Information: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
System Product: MAXIMUS VII RANGER
System BIOS: 3003
System Serial Number: System Serial Number

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 6/06/2016 6:40:36 p.m.
--- IPDT64 - Result: Fail

--- Temperature Test ---
Version 1.0.12.64b.W

Test Result - PASS

--- Temperature Test ---
Version 1.0.12.64b.W

Entering run forever
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - FAIL
Test FAILED

System Information
------------------

Module - CPULoad.exe did not create a results file.
CPULoad.exe Exit Code = -1

--- Temperature Test ---
Version 1.0.12.64b.W

Test Result - PASS

--- Temperature Test ---
Version 1.0.12.64b.W

Entering run forever
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - PASS
Test PASSED
Test Result - FAIL
Test FAILED

System Information
------------------

FAIL

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Thanks, I think I have the stock cooler so will put that on and see what the temps do.

Just as a check and see, what are you running for voltage on the CPU. I have a Z(& Sabertooth with a 4970K and was having temp problems, and one of the solutions was to manually drop the voltage so it didn't run so hot, it was running it at 1.38v on auto. Also, I delidded my CPU which was fun, if you have money for a new processor this would be a last resort thing (I still wound up picking up a Z170 Sabertooth, 6700K and DDR4 RAM), anyhow, between the two, lowering the voltage and delidding the CPU it's brought my temps well into the acceptable range. From what I've read, Asus boards are fairly notorious for overvolting the CPUs. Just something to look into.

raitho

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Well it looks like it was the cooler! Put in the stock cooler, idle is 35-40c and max temp it got upto was 75c while running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, prior to the cooler change it would also go straight to 100c. I will still need try playing my game and making sure it doesn't blue screen but I suspect the issue is fixed.

Is there a way to test the pump on the watercooler unit without putting it back into the PC?

Thanks to everyone who helped fix this, greatly appreciate it :)