Need advise on these cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohan69

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I am new to Dslr. I want to buy one as a hobby , something which is bang for the buck.
I shortlisted these 3 cameras -
Nikon D3300
Canon EOS 750D
Nikon D5500
I liked D5500 more as it also provides 1080p recording at 60fps.
Thanks in advance

The best thing to do is try them for yourself. How a camera handles is far more important then its technical specification.

One thing to consider when buying an SLR is that you're buying into a system of lenses, flashguns and other accessories. Once you build up a collection, it's very expensive to switch to another brand.

Mohan69

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

I wont really be buying any accessories , as i said i just want it as a side-casual hobby.

Good point there. I've done it twice and would not recommend that brand jumping be considered lightly.
In my case, I had always shot Minolta so once Minolta came out with a digital SLR I jumped on it since I could continue to use my old lenses ( that 'ole crop factor thing came as a surprise).

Later I wanted to get in to specific types of photography which Minolta (which was now called the Sony A-mount) did not support.

Since I had two good friends who shot Canon so I got a Canon. I sold most of my Minolta/Sony stuff to help pay for it, but you don't get anything close to what you paid for it unless you also bought used. Then I hit a problem which until the Canon 80d plagued every Canon camera to a fairly significant degree for the past 10 years or so. They had significantly less dynamic range and very poor ISO performance. Back in 2009 when I compared a Nikon d90 to the Canon 50d I was shocked at the sensor performance difference. I had assumed that because Canon was used by close to 50% of the Pro's and they sold well to everyone it was just as capable. Then it was explained to me (by one of my Canon using friends) that they stick with Canon because it suits THEIR type of photography plus with many 1000's invested in lenses it was too painful to consider switching. And they could get pretty decent results even in low light so long as they used their $2000 f/1.2 lenses or a tripod (long exposure). Fortunately for me I'd only been with Canon for a year and so only had a few $1000 in lenses and I had a very forgiving wife.

This time when I switched it really stung since I had to pay out several 1000 for new lenses up front to get the same capabilities I'd had with my Canon gear. I've been with the Nikon infrastructure since early 2009. I have no plans to change.

The moral of this story? It is not enough to ask others to compare cameras for you. You have to identify what sorts of photography you want to be involved in. Everyone starts out thinking they'll do everything, and to some degree we all do. But there are almost always one or two types which are simply more important than the others.

Check out some specific camera reviews. Dpreview.com is the best site for impartial reviews. No one serious photographer every completely agrees with everything they say, but that is because a few things are more a matter of opinion than fact. Even so, they are the best overall site by quite a lot.

Check out some sensor capabilities. The defacto standard for this is DXOmark.com A camera system is much more than a list of numbers. My old favorite, the Canon 50d does just terrible there but with that same terrible sensor (mostly with a Canon 500d) I took some of my favorite photos, in part because it had such lovely ergonomics. Meaning the camera seemed to have been made for my hands. More than the Nikon d90 I moved to.

The reason Canon (and Nikon) both continue to sell well is because of their lens selection and the other peripherals such as their flash systems.

Here is the dxomark.com comparison between the camera bodies you have listed.
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-750D-versus-Nikon-D5500-versus-Nikon-D3300___1010_998_928

The Nikon d3300 and d5500 have been editors choice at DPReview. The Canon d750 is not far behind, but it is always rated behind (for example 75% vs 79% review scores compared with the d5500)

Try holding them if you can. Pay close attention to how they feel when you hold them. Good ergonomics is often more important than any other consideration.

Well, you say that now, but will you still be saying that in a few years time when you're more skilled? What sort of photography are you interested in; portraits, landscapes, macro?

mprospero

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Mohan - If you're just getting started with DSLRs, we recommend the Nikon D3300 as the best for beginners. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-cameras,review-2196.html - You get a lot for just $500.
However, if you want to spend a bit more, we also like the D5500. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-dslrs,review-2218.html

If you end up with the D3300, we also have a bunch of tips for getting the most out of it (most of which would apply to the D5500, too): http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nikon-d3300-user-guide,review-2183.html

Mohan69

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

I do not plan to take photography seriously, i have not chosen any specific genre for it. Since i will be learning i might/might not get into some genre of it but for that time i will be trying random things. I do like macro photography. I just want an overall durable and good camera.

Mohan69

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Thanks a lot for the articles i will surely read them , I did a little bit of more research i short listed Nikon D5300 , it seems to be in the middle of D3300 and D5500. D5500 is the extreme in my budget but if i get D5300 , it saves me some money with little sacrifice , am i right?. This will be my first camera , I have played around with my friends cameras that's how i got interested.

If your friend already has a Nikon then you may be able to borrow some of their lenses and get a feel for the different types of photography. I'd still recommend that you try the D5500 (the D5300 is very similar) and 750D to see how they handle, as sometimes even small things, such as the placement of buttons, can ruin a camera.

BZRKturbo

Commendable
May 10, 2016

I would go with the D3300 it is great for the price and it is more than enough for what, I think your saying, you need and the D3300 Shoots full HD 60 fps as well.

you can look Here: [http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=nikon_d3300&products=nikon_d5500] for a comparison. and you can see if you need the D5500 or not (for what your doing).

Neon Thomas

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
just wanna know are there any advice on cameras for beginners? I want the kind using films. I want to try out developing the films.

Status
Not open for further replies.