Thinking about upgrading from Win 8 to Win 10...Any advice?

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
So I am finally considering updating my gaming rig from 8 to 10. I've been running Win 10 on my every day rig. And I haven't had any issues with it. ( well except one) But Hasn't been any issues since. Does anyone have any advice especially regarding privacy or compatibility?

I figure with only two months left to upgrade for free, I might as well take the plunge. As we know M$ will screw everyone over once they get rid of the free upgrade by slowly dropping support for the older version.

I guess I'd like to know what recommended configuration for privacy and anyone who can provide any feedback from transitioning from 8 to 10.

Thanks in advance

Solution
First I strongly recommend that you make a full system backup to an external hard drive before doing the upgrade so you always have a way to recover when Murphy strikes. Now as to privacy, after installing go to Settings -> Privacy and turn the several dozen telemetry switches to OFF if you don't want all kinds of info sent back to Microsoft about what you do, where you are, etc.

Good luck.
Hi,

The only suggestion that I can give before you upgrade to Windows 10 is to make sure you're files are backed up and you have a Windows 8 disc or a OS disc for your PC because you'll never know what will happen when you upgrade to Windows 10. I've seen others who had a problem upgrading to Windows wherein they get stuck during the upgrade or it will fail which you'll have to reinstall the original operating system. :)

First I strongly recommend that you make a full system backup to an external hard drive before doing the upgrade so you always have a way to recover when Murphy strikes. Now as to privacy, after installing go to Settings -> Privacy and turn the several dozen telemetry switches to OFF if you don't want all kinds of info sent back to Microsoft about what you do, where you are, etc.

Good luck.

Solution

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Agreed. Unfortunately all I have is the installed file that I made from Microsoft site and my Key. But I'll make sure to make a backup. I don't really keep anything on the local drive except my drivers and such. Anything else like gaming and clients are kept on another drive and also backed up to an external.

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Thanks will do guys!