No sound since windows 10 upgrade

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Since upgrading to windows 10 64-bit I have no sound from my Creative Audigy fx sound card. Looking at the relevant forums (here, creative and windows) I tried every different driver I can find - Realtek, High definition audio, the winows default driver and the creative drivers.
Microsoft helpdesk also came up with no solution.
I went and bought an Asus xonar DG sound card and had exactly the same issue.
Any ideas what to try next please

Intel i7 975 extreme
Asus Rampage 2 extreme mobo
GTX 970

Solution
But no sound drivers.. it might fix other problems though. I got 13 drivers the first time i ran it, I thought that was bad. Still got two old ones but I don't use the functions they are for.

Intel ones effect everything, so who knows. USB drivers might help as they can effect more areas than just USB devices, i think they can effect pci lanes too... think i read that earlier.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have 3 sound cards and can't get any sound? Try the Devices and Hardware troubleshooter, or even the Playing audio troubleshooter? if either asks for a restart, do it and then rerun test.

Did you install the Xonar win 10 drivers? https://www.asus.com/au/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DG/HelpDesk_Download/

Did you disable the onboard sound card in devices? It could be its still seen as default.

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Thanks so much for the reply.
The onboard sound is disabled in bios - its not appearing in device manager so that seems ok.

The creative audigy fx (PCIe) isn't working atm with any drivers as original post - but has, with new clean install, produced some garbled noises (not with every new install - I'm in the 20's now) but as soon as I update to any other driver, I get no sound at all.

I am about to swap out the Creative with the Xonar once again and try over because I just can't remember what I've tried now, but will certainly try the link in your reply.

I mention that the 2 cards use different PCI/PCIe slots to rule out mobo faults (hopefully).
Also, yes I and the (so far 6) techs have done all the obvious troubleshooting methods including safe mode deletes/installs etc.

I have also upgraded my bios to the latest version Asus provides although this is described as windows 8 compatible.

I've just received an email from Microsoft inviting me to a tech session with them tomorrow (this will be the seventh tech guy I have dealt with). I'm assuming an email from them inviting me to a timed (midday) session without requesting it, is unusual and am hoping it's a senior tech that hopefully won't charge me.

As I write this I am exploring the possibilty of 'Fast boot' possibly being the culprit, although this maybe just my fantasy - I read somewhere that it works by taking a snapshot of several different bits of the kernel (including drivers) and uses this snapshot to speed a reboot. This may be total rubbish but I am exploring it because I've just ran out of ideas.

Sorry for the massive reply (I've tried to paragraph it for ease of reading).

And thank you once again for the response - it's so nice to know there is a community out there who like to help :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft techs seem most interested in proving its not Microsoft causing it. Letting 6 of them lose on your system sounds dangerous to me, as they think clean boot can fix everything.

Fast boot is a stretch, all it does is use hybred hibernate to accelerate your pc's start up.

Did you have both cards in at same time? sounds like a great way to cause conflicts

you would think an Asus Motherboard and Asus soundcard would work together, have you tried asking on the Asus forums? they would be best people to start with. They make the things after all.

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi Colif,
Yeah, I agree with your opinion of Microsoft tech, but currently have nothing to lose as I have no data or anything on what is my gaming rig (but I won't be agreeing to charged support.

No, I haven't had both card installed at the same time, for the very reason you mentioned.

Can't post on Asus forums atm, I must have registered sometime in the past and forgot my user name. I'll have to create a new email account to use to re-register.

And finally, 'Fast boot' doesn't seem to be the culprit - but I had nothing to lose by trying it. It was a idea formed by searching for the windows immediatly restarting when I try and put PC to sleep problem I have.

Oh, and I'm going to mention my mouse doesn't work on boot until I unplug it and plug it back in. Maybe they're all related!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Run a program like driver booster and see what old drivers it finds, the sound issue might be caused by something that seems unrelated. Unlikely given how many installs you have had but it could be you load same old drivers every time... windows update grabs a stack for motherboard every install but they not the newest you can get.

You didn't mention your other problems. I don't use sleep, pc is on or off, no in between. Drivers should fix that too,

Asus forums are so slow for me, and its not my connection speed, they feel like wading through concrete. Their entire site is like that though, I often have to look at motherboard drivers for other motherboards and it will just sit there loading for ages.

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Abbatoir1968

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi again Colif,
Ran driver booster, it found 24 old drivers and updated them. Unfortunately problems still persist, but will run again when I swap to Xonar card.
I don't use sleep either - but noticed it, haven't tested that problem since driver updates but not worried about it.
Thought the mouse issue might have been fixed though because several usb related drivers were updated.
Thanks for the heads up though :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
But no sound drivers.. it might fix other problems though. I got 13 drivers the first time i ran it, I thought that was bad. Still got two old ones but I don't use the functions they are for.

Intel ones effect everything, so who knows. USB drivers might help as they can effect more areas than just USB devices, i think they can effect pci lanes too... think i read that earlier.

Solution