Reinstalling Windows 10 after Motherboard & CPU switch.

Assured

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi Folks,

I've just put in an order for my first DIY computer. I have replaced everything except my Graphics Card, SSD and my hard drive.

My question is once I build my computer and install my SSD and hard drive I was wondering if I can boot up without wiping anything, logging in and reinstall Windows 10 through windows system recovery to default setting. Will doing this affect any problems in getting the new drivers for my new CPU (Switching from AMD to another AMD).

Thanks!

Solution
Not likely. When Windows is installed, it customizes itself to the motherboard and devices present. If you change anything, it probably isn't going to boot, so be sure you save all your data before making changes. Also be sure you can reinstall your applications from the discs and any other media you have for the purpose.

Good luck.
Not likely. When Windows is installed, it customizes itself to the motherboard and devices present. If you change anything, it probably isn't going to boot, so be sure you save all your data before making changes. Also be sure you can reinstall your applications from the discs and any other media you have for the purpose.

Good luck.

Solution

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
I just had to do that myself. In my case the PCI-e buss became separated from my Dell motherboard. Not much hope of fixing that, even for me. IF you got a motherboard that was the same series as the one you had (B85 for a B85), then the OS will boot the computer. However, within a day or so it will recognize the difference and you will have to re-authenticate. For that you call MS. Keep the serial number and any service tag from your old computer and have a good reason for the switch and you might be able to talk them into cutting you a break. However they are under no onus to do so. Be polite and respectful. All I replaced was the motherboard. Memory, storage and gpu where all identical to the old config, so they cut me a break.

But since you've replace everything except the GPU and the storage, most likely your buying a new copy of ten.

As Colif said, having a spare copy of the OS in case is a good idea.

tk9780

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Reactivate Free Win10 license after hardware upgrades - To do this, get the system up and running, to a point where you are able to open the Start menu, select All Apps, and launch the Contact Support app included with Windows 10. within the app [note this can take a few moments to start and you'll need to connected to the Internet ] navigate to the Services & apps > Windows > Setting up category, which includes activation issues. You can text-chat with a Microsoft support team [MST]. My answer was simply to use the Win7 home product key to reactivate Win10 after the hardware changes.