New WD40EFRX clicking sound every 2 seconds

apostolis21

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Hello to the community. I would like your help and support for the following issue. I recently bought (3 weeks ago) a Western Digital Red 4TB, 3.5 Inches, SATA 3, 64MB, Intellipower (WD40EFRX) hard disk. I formatted the drive and accessed it through windows but when I am trying to copy and then paste a file to the drive the hard disk starts making a clicking sound every 2 seconds and windows freeze and stop responding. Can this issue be fixed or was I unlucky and got a faulty drive? How should I proceed? I have recorded the sound if you need listening to it and I could make a video of the whole process to show you how the issue begins at the first place. My experience suggests that clicking noises are a bad thing for hard disks. But how possible is that the hard disk was faulty when it left the western digital factory? I considered western digital as the best hard disk manufacturer and a very reliable company. Please advise.

Regards,
Apostolis

apostolis21

Commendable
May 9, 2016
ColGeek I ran the quick test and I got this message

30sj3hd.jpg

apostolis21

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I took the drive to the technician and told me that the drive is fine and that he checked it with a diagnostic tool. How is this even possible? Is it possible that different diagnostic tools show other results? Or could it be that the technician did a sector analysis but not a read/write test? I am confused. I will go there today and be present at the diagnostic tool that the technician used and we will do it again together and tell him about what I did but this is odd.

Any suggestions?

Hey there, Apostolis!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your failed WD Red drive! :( Unfortunately, as it was already mentioned, clicking noises indicate internal hardware failure! This is something that cannot be fixed. Physical HDD corruption might not always be detected by the diagnostic utilities due to the fact that some software tools fail to recognize hardware failure.
Your WD Red HDD should still be covered by the warranty, so once you get in touch with our Customer Support, you should be able to send an RMA request and get a replacement from us.

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful.
SuperSoph_WD