Upgrade Processor advice

JoeFaeGlesga

Commendable
May 10, 2016
Hi All, first time post looking for some advice. I know nothing about processors/hardware/life :)

I have this motherboard with this processor. AMD athlon 64 X2 5000+

I run Win7 media center and for a while its been pretty laggy. Would I be best to upgrade the processor or buy a SSD disk ? If its processor, any idea whats the best/fastest. I looked on the supported CPU list and dont really know whats best . Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Joe.

Best processor on that list is the one with biggest number, Phenom X4 9350 but even that may not help much even if you can find one, it's EOL long time now.
An SSD would not help either with that problem but may improve overall performance specially BOOT speed.
Make sure you have at least 4GB of RAM too.

JoeFaeGlesga

Commendable
May 10, 2016

Hey quick response - thanks CM.
I had a quick ebay check and seen this

Would that give e a decent boost do you think?, and yeah got 4gig RAM on the box.

Thanks - Joe.

It should help for sure. First, Phenoms have more cache memory and second, 2 more cores to spread the load.
I can't see if it comes with own cooler and if it doesn't you may need that too because it produces more heat than dual cores.

JoeFaeGlesga

Commendable
May 10, 2016

Cool, thanks for that - i will check for a cooler as well. Should find one on ebay. Thanks for the info.

Joe.

As cooler is most probably sitting there for long time, be careful when removing it. It's most probably stuck there like crazy. AMD used to put some chewing gum like material for heat transfer which gets glued on something awful. After unlocking cooler twist it left and right until it's released. I had some bad fights with it.
Also make sure you have latest BIOS version while you still have old processor in. In that compatibility list it's marked on right side of processor. Clicking on "Go" button it should let you download it. Use manual for instructions how to do it.

JoeFaeGlesga

Commendable
May 10, 2016

Thanks for the heads up. Things never ever go easy when I'm doing stuff like this. Its guaranteed I break something while doing it.