Windows 10 Corrupted + BSOD + Reinstall + A day of terror

Krish931

Reputable
May 10, 2016
So this is actually one big problem split into several smaller ones. I have no clue what or why this happened, but I can recount the sequence of events leading up to this misery. Chronologically here's what happened:

1. Ordered new Samsung 850Pro 128GB SSD - delivered yesterday - installed and configured without a hitch - working fine;

2. I'm an architecture student and use several CAD programs like Revit and ArchiCAD for my design work, besides PS and InDesign for the presentation and layout making. Yesterday, after installing the SSD, I uninstall and reinstall ArchiCAD on the SSD to leverage performance benefits (if any) - work continues;

3. Have to render a plan at 1920x1080, using the integrated Cinema4D renderer that comes inbuilt in ArchiCAD 18 - render begins - medium settings for everything - around 15 minutes in, ArchiCAD freezes (nothing new, keeps happening, fix is to kill process in taskmgr and restart ArchiCAD) - did so, tried rendering again - Bam! BSOD (system_service_exception);

4. Reboot and run sfc /scannow on elevated command prompt - greeted with windows resource protection finding corrupt files and being unable to fix - restarted in safe mode with command prompt and tried again - same result - ran DISM - same result;

5. *slightly uneasy now* - try rebooting normally to save data - here's where all hell broke loose: got past screen that prompts hitting Del or F8 to enter BIOS (don't remember what that's called) and stops at motherboard logo with rotating dots.

6. Half an hour gone by, still no boot.

7. *panic sets in* - desperation caused me to try and retrieve my data using a live Ubuntu DVD lying around and changing boot orders to CD/DVD drive first. Didn't work (obviously);

8. *major panic now* - found original Windows 8.1 disc - reinstalled Windows 8 on SSD after formatting it - using that presently - managed to retrieve data on the mechanical drives and backed it up online and on an external drive;

9. *tears of joy replaced by fury* - found partition on which Windows 10 was installed - Accessible? yes. Retrieved data? yes. Formatted drive in a fit of rage? Absolutely....maybe not the best of ideas;

10. Windows 8.1 on now. So far no BSOD, or crash or anything. Did BSOD (or even self restart for god alone knows what reason) while ArchiCAD was on (got my eyes on you you piece of shit software);

So now here are my queries:

a. What the hell happened!?

b. What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

c. ArchiCAD seems to be behind this. Could it be a corrupted installation that wrecked the system files somehow? (forgive the dumb question but I really don't know how to put this)

d. The windows 8.1 disc I used, plus the key, were used to install an original copy of windows on this desktop when I assembled it - this was then upgraded to Windows 10 on the same key, which is now gone. Can this key be retrieved somehow and used to activate the windows 8.1 I'm using now, considering it's still me using it, same microsoft account and same desktop, just a different hard drive (SSD actually)?

Any help will be appreciated to the point of eternal thank yous (and a drink if I'm fortunate enough to ever meet you in person).

Solution
a, b & d Since you upgraded from Win 8, you answered my question. You were clearly unaware you can download the win 10 install media and make it yourself: Download this and it lets you make a Win 10 USB or DVD to use to Install win 10: Windows 10 media creation tool

You can use that to fresh install win 10. The main difference between an upgrade and a fresh install is you never need to install win 8.1 to get to 10, and it removes the need to install win 8.1 drivers or updates.

The magic of Win 10 is since you already installed it on that pc, you don't have to worry about your serial number. If you were to install win 10 using that installer, when you get to the screen asking for a serial code, you just click I don't have a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
a & b: Was this an upgrade or a fresh install? way to avoid might be fresh install as unless there is hardware problems, they generally don't do this.

c I don't think so, its possible the OS was corrupt though DISM should have been able to fix, sure you didn't get an error saying it couldn't find source files?

its possible win 10 locked the drive as a security feature gone mad. There are ways to resolve that too.

d. depends, how long ago did you upgrade to win 10. If more than a month, that is a win 10 key now

most BSOD caused by drivers, so next time, try running a program like Driver Booster after about one hour of the install, as Win 10 will grab drives for your pc but they aren't the latest

Also might want to update the BIOS. New software is normally best protection against BSOD.

Krish931

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Thanks for your quick response Colif.

a.and b. I did't really understand which one you're referring to as upgrade/fresh install. As it stands, I'd bought the windows 8.1 disc at the time I'd assembled my system and I'd installed it on to a mechanical HDD. I upgraded to windows 10 soon as it was available for me to do so. What I did yesterday was use the same disc to install a fresh copy of win 8.1, albiet using the same key, on to the SSD.

c. Yes.Yes it did say it couldn't find source files. I take it that this was something important I overlooked?

d. Well..shit.

In any case, I did format the drive containing the system files for windows 10 seeing as I wouldn't be using it again, or so I thought. Well my data's safe, and that's what mattered more at the time.

Anything else you think I should do if such a situation were to happen again?

a) You f&cked up big time.
b) dont use dism, if you don't know how. I don't understand, why you used it at all?
c) Arhicad is only to blame for freezing up, not for wrecking your OS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
a, b & d Since you upgraded from Win 8, you answered my question. You were clearly unaware you can download the win 10 install media and make it yourself: Download this and it lets you make a Win 10 USB or DVD to use to Install win 10: Windows 10 media creation tool

You can use that to fresh install win 10. The main difference between an upgrade and a fresh install is you never need to install win 8.1 to get to 10, and it removes the need to install win 8.1 drivers or updates.

The magic of Win 10 is since you already installed it on that pc, you don't have to worry about your serial number. If you were to install win 10 using that installer, when you get to the screen asking for a serial code, you just click I don't have a key and Win 10 will activate itself when you are finished installing

C: It doesn't matter now but what that means is DISM was looking for a fresh copy of your image files as it had found a corrupted file in the image. To do that you use a ISO copy of the installer I linked above and mount it to File explorer, and then use another DISM command to let it access the files it needs.. (its explained at the bottom of this page

Solution

Krish931

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Well looks like I have something to do then. Thanks a lot for your help Colif. Much appreciated.

Krish931

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Haha I just learned the hard way then. And as to why I used DISM, I looked up what to do online and that's what I was led to do. Evidently I didn't do it right.

Everyone's gotta learn somehow.