Missing Network Protocols and Socket Registry Settings

jiroband

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Hi All!

I’m having some strange network/ internet connection issues on WIN 10 that I can’t figure out. It began with an inability to connect to the internet and a “No Internet Connection” icon warning in my System Tray. I eventually ended up buying a new wireless router. Interestingly, I’m now able to connect to the internet with the new router, but I’m still getting some connection issues. I’ll try to make a long story as short as possible, but it does require some explanation. The wireless router at the beginning of the story is a Linksys E3200.

Linksys E3200
At the first sign of trouble – being unable to connect to the internet – I launched the Troubleshooter which came back with this message:
“One or more Network Protocols are missing on this computer.”

I tried several fixes, including the 5 fixes recommended by Tom’s Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2751316/connectivity...), but nothing worked.

Further investigation found another problem:
“Windows socket registry entries required for network connectivity are missing.” So, I tried the “netsh winsock reset” which did nothing.

I spent 7 hours working on this. Eventually, I had the thought that maybe it was the router, so I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the back of the router and plugged it directly into the port on my computer. I got an instant internet connection! I wanted to verify if it was the router or a bad cable, so I tried two other Ethernet cables from the modem to the router, and from the router to my computer. All cables worked, so I concluded that it was the router that was bad. (Possibly I’m mistakened by this.) However, I bought a new TrendNET TEW-824DRU wireless router. The new TrendNET router was not as user-friendly to set up like my Linksys E3200, but I got a connection to the internet.

TrendNET TEW-824DRU
One thing I liked about my Linksys router was the rear USB port to which I had connected a flash drive. I was sharing this flash drive between two computers which was really handy – so I wanted my new router to have this capacity to share a flash drive – which the new TrendNET router could do. Unfortunately, I am now unable to get either computer to recognize the USB flash drive.

Troubleshooting indicates the same issues as before:
“One or more Network Protocols are missing on this computer.” And, “Windows socket registry entries required for network connectivity are missing.”

Did my steps to resolve this previously not work? This is making me question whether or not my Linksys router was the problem. I started working with a tech at TrendNET who gave up rather quickly, and now wants me to send the router in for a replacement. I‘m not sure if replacing the router will solve the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It appears that my previous attempts at resolving the network protocol and socket issues did not work. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
If your new router works and connection is established then case closed congratulations. Always make sure to have the latest BIOS files and updates for your router before having them connected. As far as the flash drive being shared, you might just have to do it the 'old school' way of connecting your USB manually to each computer.

Or if you are willing to spend a couple more minutes, set 1 computer as your homegroup to have your computer share files so that wherever your usb is connected, you'll have access just like as if it were connected to your previous Linksys. Good luck!

jiroband

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks guys for taking time to respond.

I have tried sooooo many suggestions on how to fix the missing protocols and winsock registries -- I've lost count of them all. HOWEVER, I think I may have finally gotten that problem FIXED through this solution:

http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-sockets-registry-entries-required-for-network-connectivity-is-missing

After trying this. . . no more missing protocol or winsock problems reported.

I'm still having the USB problem with the router -- which I have been working on with the help of a tech at TrendNET. He now believes the router is defective and has suggested that I return it.

Thanks again for responding, guys -- your suggestions are very much appreciated!