My computer will crash if windows tries to update to the new intel drivers that it wants too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) is what the crash error is on BSOD.

Minddump: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AA77A9D3DB0D1ABC!428&authkey=!AHnH2rNC7ZAdCeY&ithint=file%2czip

Drivers: https://onedrive.live.com/?v=TextFileEditor&id=AA77A9D3DB0D1ABC%21431&cid=AA77A9D3DB0D1ABC&parId=root

Msinfo32: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AA77A9D3DB0D1ABC!429&authkey=!AOpxKLyuIvNphxc&ithint=file%2cnfo

Motherboard is ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 (I built this computer, so that's why there is no model number)

The minidump and msinfo32 links aren't fully highlighted so just copy the full link and paste it in a new tab. (Don't know why)

Solution
A rebuild of Windows 10 is unnecessary at this time. A BSOD is caused by either a driver or faulty hardware.

OP, I can see from the minidump that your PC is running Windows 10; is the driver being installed via Windows Update? If so, you can, and should, disable this as the updates come from Microsoft rather than the hardware manufacturer.

The file igdkmd64.sys does indeed relate to the iGPU. Personally, I always disable it if a dedicated GPU is attached to avoid issues such as yours.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

I wouldn't say it's memory it's literally just the drivers.
I mean literally.
It's either nuking the drivers and adding the new drivers then changing the way they are found through windows.

I'm pretty sure. It's nothing to with hardware.

I fixed computers for over 10 years and most BSODs are caused by hardware from my experience but you can choose to do what you want.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Ok i'll do a memory test hold on.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

No memory errors were detected.

Next i would just update all the drivers to newest ones
if no dice reinstall windows
if no dice start removing hardware such as video card ( assuming you have integrated one as well) anything that would let computer still run.

good free tool for drivers http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html just make sure to watch the install and click no to installing ad stuff.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
I don't know if this is anything to go off of but when i went to Intel Driver Update Utility i tried installing the new driver and the status just said failed and gave no explanation? But yeah i am downloading SlimDrivers right now. I'll get back to you.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

When i tried to update the intel drivers my PC crashed again......
I didn't even use the Windows Update in settings. It's just crashing and giving me the same error.
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys)
I really have no clue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
igjkmd64 = Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) - are you using integrated graphics?

Spose you have these: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

try running driver booster and see what it finds.

One fix might be run a reset of windows 10 but you would lose all your programs. It would force windows to grab all new drivers though so it might get rid of all the old ones, especially since you can't get the newer Intel drivers without crashing.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

No i have a dedicated gpu (GTX 960)
If you want the crash dump analysis here you go: http://

I know it has something to do with Intel i just don't know exactly what to do.

Ok we are getting closer to the problem you can try now reinstalling windows and if still same issue your motherboard might be defective as it is trying to install chipset drivers and causes issues.

SlayerNebula

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

It has to be the mobo chipset drivers and the video controller, or oem63.inf that is collided here and basically when those assets are accessed it's causing this problem.
That has to be it.

A rebuild of Windows 10 is unnecessary at this time. A BSOD is caused by either a driver or faulty hardware.

OP, I can see from the minidump that your PC is running Windows 10; is the driver being installed via Windows Update? If so, you can, and should, disable this as the updates come from Microsoft rather than the hardware manufacturer.

The file igdkmd64.sys does indeed relate to the iGPU. Personally, I always disable it if a dedicated GPU is attached to avoid issues such as yours.

Solution

marcurios

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
Haha, i repair computers for 25 years and in my experience it's mostly faulty drivers that cause BSOD's. Faulty hardware almost never happens, aside from bad disks.

This problem your having has been popping up in pretty much each new iteration of Windows 10 with Intel CPU's, Intels integrated GPU drivers aren't very good nowadays, and Microsoft and Intel don't want to look into solving this problem for good, instead you'll be opted by Intel to install hacked older drivers to resolve this problem, and that can result in a system crash that renders you machine useless, then you'll have to reinstall Windows 10 clean,and you'l have the same problem again, so the solution for now is indeed disable the Integrated GPU in hardware manager.

Not disabling it can cause you shellexperiencehost (win 10 startmenu) to crash frequently.

Since either Microsoft and Intel don't care about solving this expect this problem to return with every major Windows 10 upgrade and Intel driver updates.

Personally, i think there should be a boycot Windows 10 by users, cause the system is inheritly unstable and very sloppy programmed.

15xx versions of Windows 10 work ok with Intel drivers, 17xx versions have major problems, even after a few months they did not solve it, no matter how many people file bug reports, be aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.