How to clean registry without harming computer?

Likespieman007

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014
Hey all,
is there a way to clean the registry? I know it is possible to accomplish this manually using regedit, however im afraid of harming the computer. Are there any trustworthy programs that can do this?

Thanks!

Solution

Tradeoffs:
Mess with the host system and continually have to 'fix it'
or
A slightly slower VM

All depends on exactly what you are doing, and how much pain you want to endure.
In general, avoid registry cleaners.

If your computer is fine, leave it alone. If your computer is getting pretty sluggish chances are it's something cleaning the registry won't help anyway, in which case something else like a System Restore point rollback, in-place Upgrade (Windows 10) or even reinstall probably makes more sense.

A lot of people make their systems worse, and frankly many of the things you "clean" from the registry aren't hurting anything. Not helping maybe, but not hurting.

*Here's a rule of thumb:

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Likespieman007

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014

I do programming for my school and I use many IDE's like eclipse. As of now, there are faulty programs/malware that i believe is in the registry causing the encoding of several IDE's to bug up. My last resort is cleaning the registry thoroughly, as i do have lots of garbage on my computer. There are zero performance issues, my cpu always stays under 2% usage and my memory usage is fine as well.

USAFRet

Titan

This is the perfect use case for a VM.
A whole PC and OS, encapsulated in a single file on a host system.

Likespieman007

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014

Im actually using one right now. However, to spare time and energy using something significantly slower than the actual operating system itself, it would be nice to use it on the host os.

USAFRet

Titan

Tradeoffs:
Mess with the host system and continually have to 'fix it'
or
A slightly slower VM

All depends on exactly what you are doing, and how much pain you want to endure.

Solution