Win 7 - Dual Monitors. When one display is turned off, mouse no longer works

Toddskins

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Several searches have not provided an answer to my dilemma.

I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system running dual monitors off an i7 4790k cpu on an Asus Hero VII board. No graphics card. My mouse is a Logitech G502 on USB.

My Asus PA248q (1920x1200) is on DVI-D and my Asus MX279H (1920x1080) is on HDMI.

When I watch Netflix on my 27" monitor, I turn off the 2nd monitor next to it to prevent the light distraction. But when I do so, the mouse and pointer no longer function. I have to turn the 2nd monitor back on to get the mouse to start working again (which it does, then).

I did not have this problem prior to getting the new MX279H a week ago, when I was using an old Dell 1908F as the 2nd monitor. My older setting had the PA248q on HDMI with the Dell on DVI-D, but now the PA248q is on DVI-D and the new MX279H is on HDMI, if this should matter. I don't know why it would.

One more thing: IF I turn off the HDMI MX279H monitor and allow the DVI-D 24" PA248q to stay on, I do not have this problem (the mouse works on the 24" monitor while the 27" monitor is off, but not vice versa).

I'd like to be able to use the mouse on my MX279H when the 24" monitor is off.

Any idea on how to solve this annoying issue?

Solution
Install latest video drivers, check refresh rates make sure they are optimal. Maybe as alternate option; try another dvi cable. That is definitely strange issue.