Are you experiencing general slow downs in Windows 10?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
It's been a while since I last used Windows 10, I'm currently using Windows 7 and I've always had slow downs using Windows 10 whereas I've never had them using Win 7.

Are you experiencing slow downs, including in games while using Win 10?

Solution
the only "slowdown" i have had was windows defender doing something right after boot-up and keeping my hdd at 100% for a good 5 minutes or more every time it booted up. simply disabled defender and no problem now.

as always though, it may not be windows doing it but could be a number of other things running that could be causing problems. check out task manager to see what is using resources when you feel it is slowing down. this should point you in the right direction. also skim through the start-up programs and turn off anything you don't need there as well. i use a MS released program called auto runs https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx that will show in one list everything that starts-up with the pc...
Can't say that I've noticed any difference using Windows 10. However I came from Windows 8.1 on this computer. My experience has been excellent overall. I've had it on all 6 computers here in my house since August and there were a few small issues (not performance related) initially, but those were pretty much all fixed by the time the November update came out. My wife's system came from Windows 7 and it seems every bit as fast as it was on Windows 7 and it's an older system (Q6600 w 8GB or RAM), so if any system was going to show it, it would be that one.

In a word, no. I have Windows 10 on my laptop and two test desktops, and I haven't seen any significant difference between 10 on these systems and 7 on my two other desktops. You might want to check to see if Device Manager is showing driver problems.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the only "slowdown" i have had was windows defender doing something right after boot-up and keeping my hdd at 100% for a good 5 minutes or more every time it booted up. simply disabled defender and no problem now.

as always though, it may not be windows doing it but could be a number of other things running that could be causing problems. check out task manager to see what is using resources when you feel it is slowing down. this should point you in the right direction. also skim through the start-up programs and turn off anything you don't need there as well. i use a MS released program called auto runs https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx that will show in one list everything that starts-up with the pc including services, programs, apps, and a ton of other thigns you never though about running in the background.

be careful turning off windows services if you don't know what they do but you can tweak the crap out of win 10 and it'll feel like a different os all around.

Solution