BSOD on a fresh install, sometimes before?

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
First off, the specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6600
Mobo: Gigabyte Z107XP-SLI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB DDR4 2133MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Summary:
So I just built this computer, and I did a clean install of Windows 10. After a couple hours of use, it started to give me BSODs, with the "SYSTEM_EXCEPTION_THREAD_NOT_HANDLED" error. Everytime I rebooted, it would come back not even 5 minutes after logging in, with different error codes each time, such as "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY", "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Troubleshooting:
At first, I thought this was just a driver issue, but I couldn't stay in the OS long enough to make any changes, not even in Safe Mode. I thought I'd reinstall Windows 10, since it's new and I didn't really have any files on here yet that I cared about. So I formatted the SSD, and reinstalled Windows 10, and once the initial setup started it threw up a BSOD with "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY", even when I loaded the SATA driver from the installer (which I saw could fix it).

I then started to think that it was a memory issue, so I ran Eurosoft QA+WIN to check the CPU and RAM, and there was no issue there whatsoever. Passed the tests just fine. I also tested different sticks of RAM, and tested the sticks in different computers and that didn't seem to be the problem.

So now I have a computer, that stays on indefinitely in BIOS, but would restart with varying BSODs the instant I even glance at Windows 10. I am starting to think that it's the CPU, but I want to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities before going through the Intel RMA process. Do you guys have any idea what could be happening?

It would even BSOD sometimes in the Windows 10 installer itself. :/

Solution
have u tried another hdd/ssd maybe...just to check u knw...whether it initialises the windows installation, and whether it continues to complete successfully...

Colif

Win 11 Master
they all data errors, it could be the ssd as well (shields his ssd from seeing this thread). I don't know if anyway to check a samsung SSD from outside windows, as it uses Magician.

irq errors generally drivers, did you install chipset drivers from dvd or let win 10 get them?

have you got latest bios? I assume you not overclocked since its not a K model...

usually these are symptoms of a faulty hardware...cpu or ram...ram specifically...
but since u r saying the ram showed ok in every test, cpu is the next likely culprit...
i suggest tht u re-seat the cpu and try again...
if its not resolved thn u have to consider rma...

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I got the chipset drivers from Gigabyte's website, but I couldn't install them from the Windows 10 installer like I did with the SATA controller drivers, and I can't stay in the OS long enough to even run through the normal installer. And yes, I have the latest BIOS. and I have not touched any of the OC settings since yes, it is NOT a K model. Everything is set to Auto.

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I was thinking about reseating the CPU, but I thought it pointless since I thought it wouldn't even POST if the CPU was seated incorrectly.

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Yeah, that was the weird part. It ran fine for the first couple of hours, even got a couple games of the Overwatch beta in before it started all of this.

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I have a GTX 960, but I usually install everything without the GPU first to make sure it all works okay.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ahh, running integrated.

I have a 960, was a good card until i got a 4k screen for my bday (unexpectedly) and it couldn't even run the desktop at 30 fps. I had to upgrade.

I don't know if CPU can run if not in socket right, hardware isn't my strong point :)

even iif it did download wrong drivers, it shd have been rectified in subsequent windows reinstallations...

i am not sure...but i feel as if there is some kind of compatibility issue between the hardwares...again thts just a hunch...

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

didn't mean to post as answer, woops. but anyway

I doubt it's an compatibility issue, since i have a friend with the exact same parts and they're working fine.

fornick

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Yeah, I tried an HDD I had lying around. At this point, I swapped everything -- Mobo, Ram, CPU, even used different installtion media, and it's still not working.

wow...u swapped everyhting and it still doesnt work???
thts errr...interesting...seldom goes down to tht level...
ok...so, at the base of it all is the mobo and psu...
if i were u, at this juncture, i will visit a professional shop which has lots of substitutes to test and check what actually works with this mobo...and build on tht...
or maybe rma the mobo...
just a suggestion...