Need a domain server for 20 computers at workplace, help needed.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I am a technology teacher at a K-8 private school. I have 20 desktop Lenovo All-In-One computers. I would like some type of server where I an control all of the computers(turn off the internet for short periods of time, install software and other chores without having to go to each computer to do this). Any advice is much appreciated. I would also like to know what the lowest cost would be for this. Thanks.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
It sounds like what you need is a domain. A domain is a group of computers connected to one or more domain controllers. When PC's are in a domain, you then have the option to do the things you wish to do.

To do this, you first need a domain controller. A domain controller is a server dedicated to the function of the domain (i.e. Active Directory, Sites and Services, etc). The catch here is you need a Windows Server operating system and most likely a CAL license, depending on how else you choose to use it. So what I would do first is price things out for a physical server. If you're only using it for a DC and that's it, it does not need to be beefy. However, if you're also going to use it for a file server, it will need some horsepower.

Once you have the server and the operating system is installed, all you have to do is setup the domain and join the PC's to do it and you're ready to go.

I know all of this seems overwhelming, but if you need more help, just let me know.

Ralston18

Titan
No disagreement with thejackal85.

However, there was similar posting not too long ago and I have had some belated thoughts about this sort of problem.

Just for the sake of discussion: Do you have control of the router? Any switches in your network?

My thinking is, if the router supports doing so, that you can use the parental controls. My Linksys router (WRT1900AC) for example has parental controls.

I can list the various computers to be controlled and then flip the Parental Controls switch to Enable or Disable Parental Controls. When enabled I can block internet access for all listed computers.

So I can open the Router's web page, login, go to Parental Controls, enable them, minimize the window. Then when Internet Access is to be granted I just maximize the window again, and disable the controls. And vice versa when the students are to stop.

And I can chose always, never, or set specific the times if I need a bit more control with regards to one computer or another.

Perhaps you could add a strategically placed router (replace a switch perhaps) under your control that would just manage your classroom/lab.

Viable?

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
The price is completely up to you. But if all you need it for is a DC, the minimum requirements I would take into account are those of the operating system and its functions. So if all you need it for is a DC, the minimum I would get is an Intel Xeon model, 4GB of RAM, and a 320GB HDD should be plenty. All in all, I wouldn't spend more than $300-$400 on the hardware itself. Check out ebay for previously built models, people are practically giving things away there.

For the Windows Server operating system, you really won't get too much of a budge on that, even if you found a reseller. That price depends on the type of OS you get.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
No, just do a search for servers and find some that only contain the parts you need. Like for example the link below. It contains everything except the HDD's and the operating system; which would be ideal for someone who already had spare hard drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380G6-2xIntel-Xeon-x5560-2-80GHz-36GB-No-HDD-No-OS/152009835300?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36144%26meid%3D558ee74a547d48a0b9ca1308cf4d8b29%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D231829691310