Upgrading to GTX 1080, Need a new monitor!

pianofreak4

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Hi,

I currently have a GTX 770, but I am wanting to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1080 in June when the EVGA version comes out. This is also pushing me to want to upgrade my monitor. At the moment I just have a standard 1080p 60hz Asus, but I definitely want to move up to 1440 or 4k.

Which monitor would you recommend for gaming? I've heard G-sync is a really awesome feature and I've heard a lot of talk about 144hz really smoothing gameplay out as well. Will a 4k at 60 hz even be viable with this new card? I guess I would just like to know what a professional would recommend as a great monitor for the newest Nvidia cards. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Solution
Right now, 2560x1440 144hz is the way to go. To game at 4K you need a GTX 980 Ti at least, and even then, you're unlikely to achieve 60 fps. Whether or not the GTX 1080 will achieve that remains to be seen.

Wait until the GTX 1080 has been tested and benchmarked against games; don't rush out and buy it on day one.
Right now, 2560x1440 144hz is the way to go. To game at 4K you need a GTX 980 Ti at least, and even then, you're unlikely to achieve 60 fps. Whether or not the GTX 1080 will achieve that remains to be seen.

Wait until the GTX 1080 has been tested and benchmarked against games; don't rush out and buy it on day one.

Solution
am all for letting the first release guinnypigs do there thing and see whats what and wait and see what all the aftermarket cards have in store latter on down the road [heck in 2 months you may see a water cooled 1080 ti you now wish you waited on ?? ]

remember how it was with the 970 ?? guys jumped on its first release bandwagon and then found the coil whine and 3.5 memory thing and felt they were left holding the bag ?

I don't want to be them guys .. sit back relax and let things unfold [good things come to those who wait] as they say

good luck

pianofreak4

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Ok. I was definitely going to wait for the aftermarket cards (I really like EVGA and don't want to pay an extra 100 dollars just to get it a little earlier.) But I think I will wait and see what the 1080ti can do and then go from there. If it can handle 4k at 60hz I might go with that option, or I might stick with 1440 at 144hz. It depends what deals I can find on monitors at that time.

maybe NVidia got the 144hz issue fixed ?? then look how many find there 144hz monitors are just running things at 60 anyway ??

may look in to some of that as well wile you wait ?? heck you may find you monitor is still fine and dandy and keep using it until 4k's drop in price latter on ??