Did a system restore and a BSOD showed up. Infinite boot loop. What to do? Critical_Service_Failed message

smokeyb

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I updated my computer yesterday. Today my internet was not working and a system restore usually fixes it. Tried to restore it, this popped up: http://imgur.com/C9Ef7H8

It's stuck in an infinite loop and I can't get past the Windows logo. I have no recovery media or extra computer to make one. Any help?

Solution
Hey! A quick update, I managed to fix it.

I installed this onto a fresh USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Booted from the USB and selected 'repair computer'

Then went into troubleshoot> advanced options> command prompt

Entered these commands:

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Both should say operation successful. And then I booted Windows normally and no more infinite loop or BSOD! I hope this will help someone.

Starcruiser

Honorable
If you have the installation disk, that can get you into the recovery tools partition at least.
If you don't have anything at all to get the recovery tools, it becomes more complicated.
I'll analyze a memory dump if you can manage to upload it so we can see exactly what the cause is.

Some more information will help me help you here.
What model computer do you have? If it's custom built, list ALL the parts.
It may sound like an odd question, but what phone do you have? Some android phones have the ability to use a USB flash drive with a special adapter, and I've used that to create a bootable drive before.

smokeyb

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
It's custom built.

i7 4770k
Evga GTX 970 SLI
Asus z87-pro
Hyper X savage 32gb (4x8gb)
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Samsung hdd 1tb
WD hdd 1tb
Toshiba 1tb

I only have an iPad and iPhone

Starcruiser

Honorable
Hmm... I dislike i-anything partly for this reason.
You're missing your PSU in that list also.
You can try asking friends/relatives that may have one if they have the boot device handy. Or a local computer shop if you can borrow one.
If you don't want to do that, I could lend you an install USB through the mail as a last-ditch move.

smokeyb

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I'll trying asking around to see if I can get on another computer. I live in the UK (unless you do as well?) so it probably isn't worth your time but I appreciate the offer!

Save your data by transfering your HDD into another computer and format your drive. Do a clean install. It sux, but it will the best solution. System restore is not good and can create many problems... of this nature. It's especially conflict of drivers and programs. I usually desactivate it.

Starcruiser

Honorable
If I had a slimmer USB drive I would be able to send it for just 3 stamps worth of postage from the US. The max thickness is 1/4 inch (8 mm), and I don't have a drive that small.
He doesn't have the install media to do a clean install so your advice is useless red.

smokeyb

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hey! A quick update, I managed to fix it.

I installed this onto a fresh USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Booted from the USB and selected 'repair computer'

Then went into troubleshoot> advanced options> command prompt

Entered these commands:

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Both should say operation successful. And then I booted Windows normally and no more infinite loop or BSOD! I hope this will help someone.

Solution