Cannot Boot or access BIOS

emjay17

Reputable
May 12, 2016
My PC will not boot or will it access bios settings by pressing F2 during boot process.

About 6 weeks ago after an automatic Windows update my desktop PC became afflicted with the “Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working etc “

I resolved the matter by restoring my PC back to a state it was in few days earlier.

Yesterday the Critical Error – start menu problem came back. When I tried the restore back to an earlier state the restore didn’t work and the PC just hung.

Now I cannot boot or access the bios settings. I tried booting directly from a Windows Disc but that will not work either. It will not boot in safe mode either.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to try out

Many thanks
------------------

My PC is a Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 fully updated, and has an SSID and two hard drives

emjay17

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Hi Colif - yes tried F12 key during boot from as soon as pc power button is switched on. Also tried F8, DEL, ESC - tried some other random keys as well ( at that stage just hoping for something )

Do not understand why I cannot get into the bios - the problem occurred when I was trying to corrrect a Windows 10 problem

emjay17

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Thanks Colif - I didn't see anything on the link that helps.

Using my laptop I downloaded Windows 10 iso file and used the Windows Tool to burn a DVD with Windows 10 files. The problem is that my PC can't seem to get past the BIOS part of the boot up sequence and so does not read the Windows 10 DVD.

Does that indicate that the BIOS is damaged?

I thought the sequence of booting was first read the BIOS on the Chip on the motherboard then go to the operating system on the C:\ drive.... so is my BIOS / motherboard damaged (bearing in mind this whole started when I was trying to restore my PC to a state it was in a day earlier)

PS the PC is an early 2015 model - so newish but out of warranty

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't think its damaged, its probably just playing hard to get. If windows were working you can get to BIOS from it, but its not. Its just locked down for your safety I guess.

You can try to reset bios, though option one is already off the list: http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/6099/SLN284985

resetting it may let you in as often you need to set defaults up again on a reset.

Solution

emjay17

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Thanks Colif for that link - there are several things to try there to reset the BIOS - it will take me a day or two or three!
Currently working on a Dell Laptop and have access to some files through Dropbox but have to get back to the Desktop..

Will let you know the outcome

emjay17

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Hi Colif - thanks for the hand holding. I am back in business :)

I reset the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for a while. Initially this didn't work
I reset the BIOS a second time and also disconnected the power to the disk drives
I also disconnected all printers /scanners/ speakers - everything except keyboard, monitor and mouse

I was then able to get into BIOS.

When I reconnected the power to the drives and rebooted the PC went to Windows repair and the offered to restore from a previous state. That went through and we are back in business.

Many thanks