Windows 10 Resetting stuck at 24%

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
My PC was booting up pretty slow, taking upto 25-30 min to get in a state where I could actually use it. Hence I decided to reset my PC through Shift + Restart.

It did say that it will take several hours, but I didn't think 'several' be anything more than 4-5 hours.

But now the message "Resetting this PC 24%" is gonna complete it's 12th hour soon after I'm done writing this query.

So, is this normal..? If yes, what can be the max time it can take..? If no, what should I do...?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

You will probably have to reinstall windows.
Try to shut it down by quick pressing teh power button. If it works, first thing i would check is that the sata cables are well plugged.

You will probably have to reinstall windows.
Try to shut it down by quick pressing teh power button. If it works, first thing i would check is that the sata cables are well plugged.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think windows is well, you might need to reinstall it as I doubt it will work now.

If you have anything you want to get off pc I would try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Download this on another computer and create a win 10 Install USB or DVD: Win 10 media creation tool

Change boot order in pc to USB or DVD first, HDD second
Follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Your boot time is a sign either HDD is sick or the pc needed new drivers. Fresh install will fix one of those.

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply guys.

I guess the series of bad decisions that I made in the past are finally here to stab me.

I didn't make any recovery disk, and none of my friends have any fast internet to download the iso within a day.

What I do have is a Win 8.1 disk. I guess I'll just install that now and upgrade it to win 10 later. WINDOWS will allow me to do that, right..?

Don't do that. It's better and worth it to wait till you get your hands on a win 10 kit and do a fresh install. Talking about bad decisions.. :)
Don't get me wrong, install win 8 if you must(just dont give it a key when it asks) so you have an os for now, but don't upgrade it, do a fresh install when you get the 10.
Also, DO check the sata cables. All of them.

Leshard

Commendable
May 11, 2016
If windows 8.1 one doesn't work then download ubuntu and see whats wrong. and about the internet, could you go to a library. They usually have fast internet. Or starbuck.

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
I've restarted the PC, and now it is in a boot loop.

I'll install 8.1 using my disk. But why not insert the key..? Will that stop Microsoft from recognize that I've rolled back...? Is that the reason..?

Colif

Win 11 Master
depends how long you been using win 10. Was the key you are trying to use the one you used to upgrade to win 10.

If you only upgraded in last 3 weeks then you can use it. If its a month or more, it is now a Win 10 key.

if second, you need to dl that media kit i linked to. Advantage is it can make multiple installs, so if you dl it, and create an ISO it can be used by a few people.

Theres no need to as it will work without. And since you'll be installing 10 in a couple of days max, whats teh point?

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
Please have a look at this image.

Not sure why, but I can't see anything like that.

Anyway, I contacted some of my friends and two of them already have win 10 iso. But it says Windows 10 Home Single Language. Mine was just Windows 10 Home. So, that will work, or I have to make him download my specific version.

For now, I'll just wait.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lol.. I shouldn't laugh but is that the win 8.1 installer? I got mixed up and thought you were talking about 10.

You need a key to install 8,1, the auto feature only applies to win 10. If you don't know your key, you may need to wait until you get a win 10 ISO.

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
@colif Yes, it's Win 8.1 disk. I have the key too.

But I've been using windows 10 since August, soon after it got released. So as per your reply, the key now belongs to win 10.

As Hlsgsz said, I'll wait for windows 10 copy :)

Any windows 10 ISO that is not education or enterprise will work, no matter what it sais on the disk. It's your key that establishes the version(home, pro whatever.. same iso)

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013

Well, I'm from India, didn't mention that earlier. Our libraries don't have fast internet :(, and my city don't have Starbucks:pfff:. Anyway, I'm way beyond that problem...

Okay, so finally got my hands on Win 10 Disk. My friends are more usefull than I give them credit for :lol:. Win 10 Installation done, and it's currently updating. I'm writing this from my PC itself.

About the problem, I've checked the SATA Cables, and everything seems fine. I was able to boot in properly in safe mode, so I guess it was not the problem of hardware but of software. Anyway, the system is running fine for now, without any issue.

Thanks to all. :ange:

Glad to hear. I asked about the SATA cables because a poorly plugged one can slow the system down, especially on boot times and that's what you said you were experiencing.