Problem! CitroenC4-2009, with A/C, spreading very bad odor, any THOUGHTS?

CtrlAlterDead

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
Hello to All car DIYs,

Recently I have a problem with my A/C in Citreon C4 from 2009, 66kw and 1.6 HDI engine or so I think its A/C problem right now.

A bad odor started to spread a year ago precisely, but I wasnt so worried about that becouse I dont use A/C so much, just in case its extremly warm. And I m from Europe.

That wouldnt be a problem at all but I started noticing that bad odor started to come out even if A/C is not ON. On any position of the fan switch. That smell is really hard to inhale and its very irritating, need to refresh cabin every so often during drive. So it become very annoying and time conuming.

The car was regulary maintained by offcial Citreon Service Centar in my country, trough small and general service procedures. Distance traveled so far 181K. Distance traveled since problem appeared around 20K minus distance traveled.

The climate system was under Disinfection for several time, and system was refilled with coolant 3 times in those 20K so far. (very suspicios for me). No leaking found whatsoever.

At present time and last 3rd service of climate since two days ago, problem with bad odor seems to be just little bit smaller but still spreading while climate ON or OFF. Just to mention on this last service, a techinical noticed that the climete fan was not rotatting at speed of 1. Just 2,3 and 4 on the A/C board controller. Replaced bad Relay and fan was now working on all speeds with no diffrence. But bad odor is still present. New coolant only helped A/C to cool up intensively and faster. Sometimes when is too hot outside and humidity very low this odor is becoming even stronger.

A have little knowladge of these problems and really need Your help and any usuable solution or advice on this.

Thank you All

Solution
so basically a rust smell

as Sizzling said the Heater cooling system sucks in air from usually outside the car or near your engine bay
through filters so follow the vents and see for any weird signs. Never know could find a big ass rusty rat carcass hehe

good luck

CtrlAlterDead

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016

@ sizzling

Cabin filter and air filter changed during last small service with engine oil. How much time and what kind of help do I need to solve this problem. Any pics would be appreciated.

Thank you

CtrlAlterDead

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016

@odanaids

Well thats a good point. I ll consider that, maybe not a rat, some other animal or so. But a smell is something like, If I can describe it like "MECHANICAL", you know its like ALLWAYS THE SAME tone, irritating and also feels like you are sniffing a piece of metal that has a layer od oxidation on it, or maybe some smell that originaly comes from object in normal conditions. And animal parts, if any tends to dessipate and loose original smell.

Anyways, Thank you a lot

odanaids

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
so basically a rust smell

as Sizzling said the Heater cooling system sucks in air from usually outside the car or near your engine bay
through filters so follow the vents and see for any weird signs. Never know could find a big ass rusty rat carcass hehe

good luck

Solution

CtrlAlterDead

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016

Thanx a lot for kind answer. Will try to that by myself, learn someting new and maybe resolve this issue.

:)