Unpin from start option is gone along with other options.

Moffinz

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
I don't know how this has happened. It suddenly became like this. Basically the issue is that on the start menu I cannot remove, resize the tiles, or open the file location. The only thing I can do is select "more" then turn live tile off/on. On some tiles (the ones that came with windows 10) I can "Unpin from taskbar", "Rate and review" and "Share".

Here is a picture of the issue. This is when I right click Microsoft Edge. The same thing happens with all other tiles.

Anyone experienced this problem aswell?

QUICK EDIT: After some more testing I found out that I can't even move the tiles around. They are stuck on the menu.

Thanks.

Solution
So I couldn't fix this problem with any smart fixes, but what did work was using System Recovery to recover a state of my PC from a few days ago. That fixed the problem and everything is fine now! You can close this thread or mark it as solved or whatever:)

Thanks for all your help Colif. It may not have fixed my issue directly, but you did provide some useful information!

Moffinz

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I've already done a sfc /scannow and when it was done it said "Windows did not find any integrity violations"

I've also tried restarting, relogging, changing user and relogging back to my main user. Non of it has helped..

EDIT: The same issue is spread across all users. Not just my main user.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try DISM? it might find things SFC didn't.

Does it do it if you make a new account? I know it happens on current accounts, does it happen on newly created ones too?

Open an elevated Command Prompt
Copy and paste each command below one at a time and press enter after each command (WARNING: the last command will instantly restart the system)
ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/78a06773-d818-4c98-b57a-bc7935995a79/cant-unpin-tiles-from-the-start-menu?forum=win10itprogeneral

alas, there is no magic bullet solution to this that I have found

Are you running Kapersky as that caused this problem last year, I would have thought it fixed by now though.,..

Moffinz

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

I'm not running Kapersky nor do I know what that is, so I don't think it's causing the problem.

Running DISM to see if that can fix anything. Crossing fingers! Will try to create a new account after if dism doesn't work.

EDIT: DISM didn't find any corrupted files. Tried running restore health anyway, but it didn't help. I also tried the command you quoted. Didn't work either. I'm currently typing through a newly created user account (local one) and the issue is exactly the same.

This issue is rather strange. Only "similar" issue I've had before what that my start menu didn't even want to open at all. To fix that I had to reinstall windows... Kinda don't want to do it again.

Moffinz

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
So I couldn't fix this problem with any smart fixes, but what did work was using System Recovery to recover a state of my PC from a few days ago. That fixed the problem and everything is fine now! You can close this thread or mark it as solved or whatever:)

Thanks for all your help Colif. It may not have fixed my issue directly, but you did provide some useful information!

Solution