Losing DisplayPort signal on triple monitor setup every few days

1Dluna

Commendable
May 13, 2016
I've been occasionally losing my third monitor on my triple monitor AMD Eyefinity setup. I'm currently using 2 Dual Link DVI-D cables from my PC to two of the monitors and one DisplayPort to DisplayPort from my PC to my 3rd monitor. I always manage to get it to work correctly but it usually seems to just come back on it's own. There isn't one specific thing I'm doing to get it to work. I've had this issue on a single GPU and still seeing the same issue occur with a 2nd GPU I just added even after trying different ports on the 2nd GPU. I'll get the triple monitors to work fine for a few days and then I lose the 3rd monitor for no reason with a Windows message telling me it doesn't recognize the refresh rate.

I've tried changing the DisplayPort to a different monitor in my setup and I get the same issue proving the my monitors good.

I've turned off my Eyefinity group and the issue remains yet again.

I initially had the same Eyefinity triple monitor setup using 1 Dual Link DVI-D to Dual Link DVI-D cable, 1 HDMI to HDMI cable, and 1 DVI-I to HDMI cable which actually worked perfectly for over a month.

The reason I changed my setup was to be able to take advantage of my 144hz monitor refresh rate which can only be accomplished via DisplayPort and Dual Link DVI-D.

PC Setup:

GPUs: 2 ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX-R9380 4GD5

CPU: 1 AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone-G1200, Capstone G Series 1200W Modular

Monitors: 3 ASUS VG248QE Black 24" Gaming Monitor, 144Hz 1ms

DVI-D Cables: 2 Cable Matters Gold Plated DVI-D Dual Link Cable with Ferrites

DisplayPort Cable: 1 Accell B142C-010B-2 10ft UltraAV DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Cable with Locking Latches

I've read a ton of forum threads and nothing seems to work. I'm hoping some here can help me out and I apologize for such a long post in advance. I just didn't want to miss any details.

Jameshigh28

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
I'm having the same issues and more.
my display port on the farthest side, next to hdmi, just flickers on and off, and eventually never shows back up. no matter what the refresh rate, or freesync. when I attempt to set up just one monitor, same thing. eyefinity adds more problems, like wrong resolutions, loosing the side two monitors until reboot, and overall its a nightmare.

Saphire will be hearing from me on Monday. Newegg hopfully can help or sapphire. I just want a 3 display port card without issues that runs freesync on triples. Its NOT THAT HARD.
Just a nightmare. spent 10+ hours troubleshooting now. The card SUCKS for triple display port. IT just cant do it. All because of ONE faulty port. I checked everything. cables, ports, monitors, tried everything, software, firware, drivers, windows power settings, and amd settings . =(

1Dluna

Commendable
May 13, 2016
I hear you and totally get your frustration.

As for my situation, here's an update...
I received a new DisplayPort cable this past Sunday and it's the same exact cable and brand. I connected it and so far so good on my triple monitor eyefinity display. Today officially makes 3 days since I've had the new cable connected and with the previous cable I was losing signal on about the 3rd of 4th day. That said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I may have had a bad cable all along.

I'll keep you posted.

1Dluna

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Well, it happened again. I lost my DisplayPort cable connected 3rd monitor on the 4th day which was this past Thursday.

I've officially ordered an HDMI 2.0 cable to see if that works at 144hz with Eyefinity enabled. I have an older HDMI cable that did work before I got the second failed DisplayPort cable but only at a 60hz refresh rate.

Also wanted to mention I tried using 3 dual link DVI-D cables which do work all on 144hz but of course, Eyefinity doesn't work with the same 3 dual link DVI-D cables.
Still stumped.

Jameshigh28

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
Only display port can do 144hz eyefinity. And it must be all three and identical. RMA that thing.

I've since switched back to team green and some gsync monitors. I'm done dealing with AMD cards. Most of them don't even have 3 display ports! The one I had had a faulty display port. Eyefinity gets tearing if you don't run identical output types.
Not mad. Just dissapointed at AMD. Their r9 390 was otherwise a better card than any nvidia I had. But nvidia surround just does it better and with more connection options.
You can get a display porr MST hub for your display port to run tripples. (Splitter)/ Can't guarantee the adapters support 144hz but theyre do support eyefinity.

1Dluna

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Two Sundays ago on May 29 I decided to connect an HDMI 2.0 cable which replaced my DisplayPort cable and it seems to be holding 10 days later. Eyefinity is also working perfectly with the single HDMI cable along with 2 DVI-D dual link cables.

It's become pretty apparent that DisplayPort cable just doesn't work properly with Eyefinity and it's a shame since DisplayPort allows for the 144hz refresh rate which my 3 monitors do offer. As mentioned earlier in this thread, my DisplayPort cable only seemed to work for an average of 4 days until I would lose that monitor's signal. I've searched high and low and I can't figure out why that is so I've given up on DisplayPort.